Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Switching TM question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Switching TM question

When I bought my boat last year, it had 2 batteries and a Johnson 12/24 volt trolling motor. I'm buying a new trolling motor soon, and I'm leaning towards a 55 thrust which works on the 12v system. Will I have to make any type of wiring changes to make this new trolling motor work properly?
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillSeeker
    When I bought my boat last year, it had 2 batteries and a Johnson 12/24 volt trolling motor. I'm buying a new trolling motor soon, and I'm leaning towards a 55 thrust which works on the 12v system. Will I have to make any type of wiring changes to make this new trolling motor work properly?
    Yes. Your old motor most likely had 3 wires coming from the batteries. A ground common to both and positive from each. Your new motor only needs 2 wires. Ground and positive. Since you already have 2 installed, connect them in parallel for longer trolling time. Pos to pos and neg to neg.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

When you hook two batteries in series for 24V, you take the neg of one battery and hook it to the positive of the other. This leaves you with a neg of one battery and a pos on the other, those are the two leads that are ran to the TM. More than likely you only have two wire running to your TM, so therefore there should be no changes needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Be Careful

Quote Originally Posted by crichison
    When you hook two batteries in series for 24V, you take the neg of one battery and hook it to the positive of the other. This leaves you with a neg of one battery and a pos on the other, those are the two leads that are ran to the TM. More than likely you only have two wire running to your TM, so therefore there should be no changes needed.
    I have a 12/24 vt MG and My batteries are NOT wired that way. I have a Plug that goes into a wiring harness with individual leads running off each battery to the convergence harness. My trolling motor batteries are Not wired like either of the above mentioned. I would have to see your wiring harness before I could give you a good answer. :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crichison
    Thats true for a straight 24V motor but for a 12/24 you have to have a minimum of 3 wires so you can switch it to 12 or 24V. Some used a common ground and some called for seperate grounds in which case you would need 4 wires. (like Whiskers) His new motor is just 12V. Definately don't want 24V going to it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN, you are correct, it would require at least 3 wires to be able to switch between 12 and 24. Sorry ThrillSeeker, I spaced out the "either or" voltage, don't mean to make it any more confusing.