PDA

View Full Version : "BIG FOOT" Trolling motor foot switch????

pescador
03-10-2015, 01:27 PM
I have an older wireless Motorguide, 55 Bow Mount trolling motor. Has the 5 speeds NOT variable.

I would like to put one of these Big Foot Trolling Motor Switches on, but I read that they are for Hand Operated Trolling motors??

I know I would have to be careful where the setting are, but shouldn't this work?

Anyone else put one of these on their bow mounted trolling motor?

Thanks for your time.

pescador

dwightparks
03-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Will work as it is installed on negative cable of trolling motor and it takes away ground until you hit button again for motor to resume running

DRPEPPER
03-10-2015, 03:08 PM
What he said.

pescador
03-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks dwightparks and DRPEPPER, appreciate it.

pescador

dwightparks
03-10-2015, 04:32 PM
In my opinion T-H marine has a better quality switch. Have used these and they are very durable. Be sure to get one with the bar that will lock switch on if needed.

SirBob
03-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Will work as it is installed on negative cable of trolling motor and it takes away ground until you hit button again for motor to resume running
Worked fine on my older minn kota in the older boat. I have one on my 30 gal tank sprayer that I use behind the garden tractor, liked the safety to easly shut off the system rather than playing with large battery clips.

Cray
03-10-2015, 07:02 PM
With the wireless do you steer with foot pedal? Are you wanting to install in foot pedal? Or do use a remote? Is it electric steer? What are you trying to accomplish?

pescador
03-10-2015, 07:49 PM
With the wireless do you steer with foot pedal? Are you wanting to install in foot pedal? Or do use a remote? Is it electric steer? What are you trying to accomplish?

I use the remote. For me, it is hard to hear the beep, when you increase or decrease the speed. This way, if I want speed number two, I should be able to set it and use the off, on button, for my day of fishing.

pescador
03-10-2015, 07:50 PM
In my opinion T-H marine has a better quality switch. Have used these and they are very durable. Be sure to get one with the bar that will lock switch on if needed.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, appreciate it.

Cray
03-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I use the remote. For me, it is hard to hear the beep, when you increase or decrease the speed. This way, if I want speed number two, I should be able to set it and use the off, on button, for my day of fishing.

Yes that should work. Just wire it like Dwight said.

tarheelblaze
03-10-2015, 10:18 PM
I use the T-H marine, cheeper than the big foot and is a very good switch

pescador
03-19-2015, 08:45 PM
OK, so I received my T-H Marine trolling motor switch today. The instructions say the following:

Splice into POSITIVE wire between plug and motor.

I have been told by others, to splice into the NEGATIVE wire?? Now I'm confused as to which to do?

Cray
03-19-2015, 09:47 PM
You wire across the Negative to reduce the amount of Arcking across your contacts.

kickingback
03-20-2015, 11:03 AM
What is that switch used for? I just bought Minn Kota Mazimizer that makes my MotorGuide TM VARIABLE speed. I tried it out last night and it works great! Got it off EBay.

Cray
03-20-2015, 11:13 AM
It is a on off switch you use with your foot. Mainly used for hand control motors..