Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally jumping into the hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally jumping into the hobby

Ok guys I know this does not sound like much but I have decided to drop about $800 into getting me started into making soft plastics I have heard that the do it x2 fluorescent colors are the best but I am looking to customizing or trying to a lot with the regular colors but I heard that the do it colors are really hard to make your own custom colors I am going to start off with the do it starter kit and then get all the fluorescent x2 colors and not sure what size glitters to get and what scents but I do know what molds I am going to start of with if you have any suggestions for me plz let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

The .015 glitter is a dandy size for crappie/panfish sized baits and even some bass/walleye sized stuff. The .040 size is a bit bolder for larger baits. Small flake like .008 and .004 are hard to manipulate while you're getting started and have a limited scope of use so I'd say stay away from those for now until you find out how plastic handles and how glitter can help or wreck a batch.
    Likes snake River, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the hobby. Information in this stickie may help some. I always use the small size glitter and use it sparingly. Less is more in my humble opinion.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...15406-supplys/
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes snake River LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Shipahoy41 makes some mighty fine looking baits.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes snake River, shipahoy41, CTom LIKED above post

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Do-It X2 colors and have maybe 10 colorants and have no problems making a variety of colors from. I also use Do-It pearl and hi-lite powders. I use Spike Its glitter. I mainly use .015 and .025. I do have some .04 but it is limited. I use Do-It Essentials plasital. I don't use scents. If I do it is Slab slobber when I'm fishing.
    Likes CTom, snake River LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Shipahoy41 makes some mighty fine looking baits.
    I owe whatever skills I have to Bob Hinkle (Snake River) for getting me started in this hobby and to Jack Manda in Ohio who started me soldering teardrop jigs. I also thank all those who freely share their tips with everyone on this forum. If I started to name their names I would be naming all the people on this forum and a few on the jig tying forum. So I am thanking everyone. I am having fun making soft plastics and I have not burned myself but three or four times.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our madness!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as all of us. Like Ships said, i thank everyone on here for the help and knowledge they have shared. Dave
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I want to make you aware that this hobby is very addictive. I have already filled 15-3600 plano tackle containers and about 6-3700 series boxes and I just started this in november. I have a ball doing it and this weekend I will get to use the arsenal that I have created in southern Ill. for a few days pond hopping and some conservation lakes. I am also lucky to have Plano tackle outlet within an hours ride to get boxes that fit my tackle bags. Dave/Fireman58