PDA

View Full Version : Marker buoys

skunked again
03-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Round or flat?
Currently have round ones, in the market for new ones. Is one better than the other?

vic n
03-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I just bought a couple of the round ones because I saw a thread or an article that said the round won't keep unwinding after they hit bottom and the square ones will.

CatFan
03-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I like the flat ones. Easier to store.

wannabe fisherman
03-09-2015, 03:50 PM
I just bought a couple of the round ones because I saw a thread or an article that said the round won't keep unwinding after they hit bottom and the square ones will.

WRONG !! I've got round ones and I have had them unwind almost all the way in windy conditions. the flat ones won't keep flipping as much when they hit bottom

fe1
03-09-2015, 04:14 PM
I'd have to agree with wannabe on that.JMHO

kickingback
03-09-2015, 04:16 PM
The round ones have the weights that keep them from tumbling in the wind. They work as well as the flat ones. I have both.

Arkie has some really cool small ones. They are great for stealth brush pile marking. Arkie Stealth Buoy (http://www.arkiejigs.com/Arkie-Stealth-Buoy-p/sm.htm)

I also have the three large round ones with the holder mounted to boat. Easier to handle.

blueball
03-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Have both but prefer the square ones

skunked again
03-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Thank you all for replying. Sounding like a Chevy vs Ford issue.
Kicking back: those look interesting.
I think I'll try the flat ones this time. Last ones i had where round, blaze orange. Painted them black, so they couldn't be seen across the lake.
Again, thank you.

Cray
03-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Do yourself a favor. Get the H shaped ones. Go to Lowes or HD and get a small can of low expanson foam. Drill a 1/4 in hole in each end of each H beam. Insert tube and fill with foam. Place them on some news paper cause as it expands it will make a MESS. That way they float higher and never take on water. Have never had one unroll unless it was bad rough and windy and then only to the point of having some slack. Threw my round ones in the corner of shop.

skunked again
03-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the tip. Will do.

Mike Andrews
03-09-2015, 07:31 PM
H type and change out the strap weight for a 6 oz weight with a swivel. The heavier weight unrolls faster and holds bottom better, the swivel keeps tangles due to twisting down.

RCC
03-09-2015, 07:40 PM
If you are fishing in temps below freezing and the marker has too big of a weight, good by marker on the second drop. You can hang around until the string thaws or just leave it and let it come up marking the spot for someone else.

Got a marker project semi-started. If I get one made and can find this thread, I'll post a pic.

Derwin
03-09-2015, 08:43 PM
A one quart oil bottle works real good. Just flat enough. Just add string and be sure to wrap your sting around the middle of the bottle real right. Add plenty of weight to make the bottle flip over when its unraveling out.. Works as good as any store bought marker!.

Kywareagle
03-09-2015, 09:09 PM
No complaints with h type here as well

ricky
03-09-2015, 09:39 PM
I have both the flat wind up faster.

eagle 1
03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Had round first . H-shape is the way to go .

Hanr3
03-12-2015, 07:57 PM
I have the round. Never tried the H type.
I like the holder for the round, it holds a beer can/bottle or coffee cup perfectly.
My only complaint about the round one is eventually the weight will fall off.

JTMavs
03-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Flat - Easier to store and won't unwind as easy in bigger waves.

genec
03-13-2015, 06:28 PM
THE H TYPE,THEY STAY BETTER AND I HAVE A AUTO WINDER THAT WINDS IT UP AND CUTS OFF BY ITSELF,NO WORK NOR WET AND COLD HANDS

skunked again
03-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Is an "auto winder" a kid? [emoji1]

RMGeorge
03-13-2015, 07:51 PM
THE H TYPE,THEY STAY BETTER AND I HAVE A AUTO WINDER THAT WINDS IT UP AND CUTS OFF BY ITSELF,NO WORK NOR WET AND COLD HANDS

​Have not seen any of those.

FliTrap
03-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Here Is a bit of a different spin on the whole thing! I kayak fish with a few others and none of us have electronics! So we made up floats in two colors... red with 20 feet of line and blue with 10 feet of line. A we hit a lake we work into the wind that is at a slight angle to shore! As we scout... into the wind, we drop off the markers in alternating colors, allowing them to drift towards shore as we go on up wind! When up a 1/2 mile or so, we can turn... drift with the wind and see right where the lines are. Spider rig drifting... 2-4 rods where legal and per rate of the bite!
If fish are frequent, we leave the floats be... paddle back and drift again!!! if Slow... Pick up as we go, then reset a different area. Most often, others will avoid the float lines, not knowing their nature... or respecting our drift! Cheap... effective and fun!
Crazy part... If Crappie are way too slow... add dropper to the rigs and take home a batch of cats!!!!
Just a spin!

P.s. If wind is off shore we want to fish... we drop weights... full depth and side paddle until they touch... LOL set to go on!