Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain and fishing electronics don't mix well

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain and fishing electronics don't mix well

With the spring rains almost everyday now. I would like to fish anyway but not without my sonars if I can figure how to keep them from any harm. I don't even leave mine on the boat under my boat shed right now. I bring them indoors because here in Mississippi we have bad humidity that causes condensation to occur. They are making them better now I have heard but some of mine are the older ones that were not as waterproof.

What do you do when it rains and your caught on the water with your expensive sonars?

Do you have waterproof covers for them?

Even with covers will they or not condensate if left in the rain?

If you have made or if they are special ways to help with this problem, will you please post pictures,web sites,etc.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for their help on these questions.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

All these units are sealed against weather, and if you are getting leakage on a unit they will still service, I think you could send it back. I don't leave my units out in the weather either, but if I'm fishing then so are they!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My 998 has been in all kinds of weather and never had a problem.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes vic n, Cane Pole, scrat, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it is good to tell your your wife what you are doing or trying to do. Just don't tell her she came up with a good idea as it might go to her head. Well she told me that the dollar stores sell all kinds of clear womens shower caps for a dollar or two. They are about the right size for my 5" screen sonars on my boat and I will be able to see and use the sonars thru the clear plastic. They will also be real easy to store if not needed. Now if I can just talk her into going with me in the rain.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine on....have for years....no problems....I even wash them when I wash the boat.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Just like marine radios, I believe they are supposed to be submersible to so many feet.

I product built to be on the water, but not handle any water, would be a product I don't want on my boat!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes BarryG LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine on under the cover. Haven't had any problems. At least not yet>

Post Thanks / Like

The rain ruined my Gen-1 Lowrance HDS-7 and Lowrance wouldn't repair it. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit against them so I can join in. When you try to file a claim with them they will tell you thy no longer service that generation but will offer you a discount on a new unit for another $800. No thank you. I've learned my lesson. They are a disgrace to the fishing electronics industry.
    Last edited by yikess; 03-10-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 HB 998s and have had no issues at all. I don't baby them and use them in any conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked mine. Been under boat cover all winter, and thru all this rain. No condensation, turned 'em on. Everything fine. Hope they work in the water

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast