Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on muddy water crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips on muddy water crappie

Assuming ky lake thaws we are going down the middle of this week for a couple days but I know more than likely it'll be muddy from all the snow melting. This will be our first trip spider rigging on our own. Been with a guide a couple years but this just rigged our boat up to spider rig on our own. Main question is what colors should we start with? I'm assuming brighter colors but was wondering if anybody would be nice to give me a little help on which way to go on colors. I'm also planning on rigging 2 poles with a minnow rig to start out. Really hoping we can bring several back home to eat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Dark colors, fish slow, no, slower.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes str8jigging LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

try a firetiger and a parrot, double rigged, or 1 a jig and other a minnow
    ENOMAN:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Use rock port rattler jig heads and black and chartreuse jig body tipped with a minnow very slow

ftpmike

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

blacks and any combo , purple/orange .

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go with a larger profile jig, like a 2.25" or 2.50" southern pro, or arkie salt tube. To me it's like driving in the fog, I'll begin to see a larger profile vehicle coming through fog before a smaller one, and color is harder to distinguish until really close.

Bobby McGaha
    3250 Harrison St. Ste. 300
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it muddy all the time after a snow melt? Find some history info to assist you if you can. If not I would check the to see if the water only muddies in shallows or deep as well. If it is muddy then like others said, dark colors, slow, proper depth. Good luck!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

In muddy or stained water dark colors seem to work better but anything that makes noise is the key I use roadrunner type jigs but I put a barrel swivel on the snap ring that holds the blade, seems to make just the right amount of noise to get their attention.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably gonna be some tough fishing this next week, With all the past rain and snow melt TVA has been really letting the water through the dam. 14 gates where open this morning, and Barkley is pulling around 100,000 through it as well. I think the water temps are somewhere around 38-39 degrees. Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast