Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Knots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Knots

I was wondering what people are tying to jig fish. I have been using the old twist and pull (clinched blood) since i was a kid. Quick and easy just doesn't seem to be as strong as i should be tying. Ready to learn some new ones. Any suggestions?
    Likes dko LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a video on youtube titled crappie double rig with a wooly bugger. In that video I talk about the knot I use for two reasons, I can tie it without my glasses and it doesn't come untied like the clinch and improved clinch does. Lots of options, that's mine.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Did you miss this on page one top?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a loop knot most of the time and a Palomar knot is probably the strongest.

Post Thanks / Like

I use "Snap Hooks" to attach my jigs. These are available from Netcraft and are what fly fishermen use to change flies on their fine tippets. Size #2 works just fine for 1/32 oz. - 1/8 oz. jigs. Makes a durable loop for the jig to freely move on and allows for quick change of jigs/colors. I tie the snap hook on my line using the Trilene knot. No problems, no worries.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes short grub, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a palomar knot most of the time because it's easy for me to tie now that I can't see and my fingers don't work right . I used to tie an improved clinch knot, but **** those things are hard to tie when you're old! Actually, I don't think it matters much what knot you tie when crappie fishing ... it ain't like a crappie's gonna cause a knot to fail; a big ol' brush pile or a catfish, maybe, but not a crappie.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-07-2015 at 06:26 AM.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. 99.99% of the time I am using a Palomar knot or a loop knot. If I use a Palomar knot I am usually attaching a snap (Size 0 or 1) from Jann's Netcraft so I can change jigs or colors very fast. A loop knot will also allow your jig to hang level and that is what you want, a level jig.

Look at this stickie. You might get other ideas. Thanks for everyone who posted pn it. Knots and Rig Drawings for beginners.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ups-beginners/

Name:  Gill Rig.jpg
Views: 3661
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  Duolock snaps.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  3.7 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyjohn View Post
    I don't think it matters much what knot you tie when crappie fishing ...
    Agreed.

How strong does a knot need to be? We're fishing for a fish that will hit 2# on a good day, and most people fish 4# line at a minimum (which will actually test closer to 6#.) IMO, any of the main knots are perfectly fine for crappie.

For the record, I use an Orvis (Becker) knot. It's comparable in strength to the palomar and Trilene knots and easier to tie.

Post Thanks / Like

Been using the Uni Knot for as long as I can remember. I like it because it can be pulled tight in a loop so the jig can move freely or cinched tight and a double Uni is good for tying two lines together, especially braid to mono. Has almost 100% line strength too.

Uni Knot - How to tie a Uni Knot
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes hobbness, BigRiverMarine, kyjohn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 knots 99 %of the time- loop & Uni knot=tie both with my eyes closed- never had an issue with either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast