Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Piece Rod----- STUCK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two Piece Rod----- STUCK

Anybody got a tip on how to separate 2-piece rods. I've got lots of rods but this particular rod just won't come apart. It's a 10 ft. Wally Marshall and I have several more that are just fine, maybe I just pushed it in too far. No big deal because it has been stuck for 2 or 3 years now, just wondering if there is some spray or something to loosen it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on down the 15th and we'll snag us a big ole spoonbill with it and i guarantee it will be in two pieces in short order....lol.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I learned this trick many, many years ago when I was into fly fishing. Put the rod behind your knees while standing. Then, with you knees close together and the joint in between them, hold tightly to each side of the joint and separate your knees. That'll free it up fast.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes DOFC, shipahoy41, Rees Guide, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Yes. I learned this trick many, many years ago when I was into fly fishing. Put the rod behind your knees while standing. Then, with you knees close together and the joint in between them, hold tightly to each side of the joint and separate your knees. That'll free it up fast.
    Yep X2

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try warming the outter portion of the connection with hot water of maybe a hair drier to make it expand a little. Do it quickly so that the heat doesn't transfer to the inner part make it expand also. The quickly try to pull them apart. The rod behind the knees lets you exert a lot of pressure. Make sure the rod and your hands are dry so as you can get a tight grip. If it comes apart clean the connections with alcohol and then lubricate the male portion by running it through the hair behind your ear a few times.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried two people, one on each rod section pulling them apart? I would think two grown strong men could pull them apart in a "tug-o-war" scenario.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys thanks alot, I went out to the garage and tried it and it came apart very easily. I remember my dad doing that 50 years ago just forgot how he did it, I was putting the rod behind my back and pulling but not behind my knees. I have had 2 or 3 guys helping pull and it still wouldn't come apart. Gotta love this site for info and help. Thanks
    Likes short grub, RogerA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with what type of ferrule those rods have, but in the past when I would finally get one apart I always used graphite to lubricate the male end. Even using pencil lead on them helped a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have this issue on our Salmon fising boat. Lots of those rods have rubber butts on the tip end. They expand and contract with the weather, humidity, barometer, and tempurature. One day you can get them apart, the next day you cannot. We used to carry a small tube of vasoline. Unlike other lubricants that can wash off with water, this deosn't. Just use a small amount.

In the future, if you have this issue, you may want to squirt a small amount of marvel mystery oil (or other penetrating lubricant) around the connection seat. Let is sit for awhile and then try it.

Glad you got her apart
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast