Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPad or tablet with HDS Touch

Post Thanks / Like

Default IPad or tablet with HDS Touch

Has anybody used the Wi-Fi on a Lowrance HDS touch with an Ipad or tablet. I was thinking about using a tablet at the front of my boat instead of buying another unit. But I was afraid I couldn't see the screen well enough in the sunlight. Anybody know?

Bobby McGaha
    3250 Harrison St. Ste. 300
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read some good results/comments on this set up but no 1st hand experience. I would make sure the ipad/tablet has a good screen resolution to allow viewing in all weather conditions, but a tablet should be easy to adjust for glare.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

What got me to thinking about it was while fishing the other day, I had trouble seeing my phone screen, without trying to get it in the shade. I don't own a tablet yet so I don't know how they do in daylight. I would think it would need to be pretty sharp to see small dots representing fish.

Bobby McGaha
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an iPad Air and have difficulty seeing it in sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like

iPads don't do well in heat. If it will be in direct sunlight in the summertime it will get too hot and shut down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dlogfish View Post
    iPads don't do well in heat. If it will be in direct sunlight in the summertime it will get too hot and shut down.
    Never thought about that, thanks.

Bobby McGaha
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an older tablet made by Motion Computing that is daylight viewable. The motion works fine in daylight but they aint cheep and it can't do half what my HDS can do related to fishing unless you buy supporting equipment.. I have been down this road before.

Look for something that has a daylight readable screen, but go look at it in bright daylight, cause most is pure bull about daylight capable screens.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I have an older tablet made by Motion Computing that is daylight viewable. The motion works fine in daylight but they aint cheep and it can't do half what my HDS can do related to fishing unless you buy supporting equipment.. I have been down this road before.

Look for something that has a daylight readable screen, but go look at it in bright daylight, cause most is pure bull about daylight capable screens.
    Well with the purchase of the $200 Wi-Fi module you're supposed to be able to do anything on the tablet that you can do on the HDS, it's just a mirror of what's on the unit, and it's suppose to save whatever you save on the tablet to the unit as well, but I don't know that for sure and was why I was hoping somebody else has tried this and could give a little insight on it. I've done a little research on tablets being viewable in sunlight and most of them don't fair to well. But I haven't heard of the one you have. I may check it out if you think it's fairly usable outside.

Bobby McGaha
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My tablet came with win98. Long before HDS. I used it as a sonar and gps. You can get refurb ones. Mine cost about 2k 10 years ago. Needed for work, and converted for play when I retired.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    My tablet came with win98. Long before HDS. I used it as a sonar and gps. You can get refurb ones. Mine cost about 2k 10 years ago. Needed for work, and converted for play when I retired.
    They are still expensive new, but like you said you can get them refurbished fairly reasonable. And a little research online does show that they are probably the best for outdoor use. Some of the newer ones may be better still. Still not sure if it will be sharp enough. If so it's a lot cheaper option than another unit. Wish I knew of someone who had one I could look at. Thanks Cane Pole, there may be hope still yet.

Bobby McGaha
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast