Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TROLLING CRANKBAITS...Hey "G" and others....HELP NEEDED

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TROLLING CRANKBAITS...Hey "G" and others....HELP NEEDED

I received this message from kickingback on the stickie "Knots and rig drawings" for beginners. Here is his message. Can someone post drawings and give him help in this area? I told him I would post his message on the main crappie forum. Here it is....

"Does this thread cover trolling crank-baits? I wanted some good insight on the best rig for trolling a 6'-10' diving crank-bait on 6 lb line if possible. Not sure if a 1/2 oz weight will hold it down or how much line to let out or if using my standard trolling rods will work wih the extra weight. Lots of questions I guess...
    Looking for a drawing of rig setup too. Can't find much on the net except one youtube video that talks about using a 5 oz weight! I don't think my 12' rods will bow right with 5 oz and a crank on each but haven't tried yet. Any comments welcome."

I hope someone can help kickingback and submit your drawings and/or photos to help him and others who may want to troll crank baits.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the MS board.......there is a sticky....crankbaits 101. Lots of good reading on this. Pulling crankbaits you do not use a weight.....you control depth by length of line out at 1.8 mph. Pushing crankbaits and controlling depth by weight I use a 3 oz weight. For pushing I use trolling weight rigs made by ScottV on the MS board. I use Okuma line counter reels and BnM P roTroller rods....I use two 14 ft. Two 10 ft. And two 8 ft.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-03-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes shipahoy41, Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use a trolling depth chart to determine length of line out for the depth I want to run.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for helping him out David. I will also post your answer in the stickie "Knots and Rig Drawings." You are a great help to everyone.

This is the stickie "G" referenced.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...-cranks-101-a/

Mike
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

An invaluable tool to helping an angler figure out how deep a crank will run is the Precision Trolling Data - they have both stickers for your tackle box and an App for both I-phone and Android.
    Here is an address for more information about the PTD: PRECISION TROLLING | thenextbite.tv

If you want to get a crank down deeper - I would suggest trying Off Shore Tadpoles - the #1 size will do just about everything you need as far as depth. The Tadpole is an inline diving weight that releases when you have a fish on so you fight the fish and not the weight
    Here is an address for the Tadpole: Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site OR36 1 Resettable Diving Weights
    Here is the dive curve for the Tadpole: Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site OR3
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!
    Likes smokercraft LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I started pulling cranks with 6 LBS line. It got pretty expensive real quick. Now I use 12 LBS and am exploring braids. DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
    Likes dallman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

30# Power Pro

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes Billbob, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRPEPPER View Post
    I started pulling cranks with 6 LBS line. It got pretty expensive real quick. Now I use 12 LBS and am exploring braids. DP
    30lb braid. PowerPro.

Bobby McGaha
    3250 Harrison St. Ste. 300
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I think I can get started now although the spawn is now coming on and I will be putting the cranks away for a month or two.

The link to the MS forum is bad. I get a page not found.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

10lb power pro braid here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast