PDA

View Full Version : New TM?

Cane Pole
12-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Stopped by to visit The Crappie Wizard aka 1Weezer aka Richard Williams today. We had a good visit (b/s). Had him to order me a new Minnkota 70 pounder with most all the trimmings (autopilot,copilot,quick disconnect, sonar xducer). I didn't get the remote control urinal as I still have a wife..ha

Has anyone had or experienced any radio interference with the autopilot? Any and all suggestions using this thing would be appreciated. I had druther know (read, hear) about it than have to learn it the hard way....

Thanks

Barnacle Bill
12-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Good motor Tom, thats exactly what I use. Well almost. I had to take my co-pilot back. It wasn't making a good connection where it plugs in and just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

frank lawhead
12-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Tom I ran a autopilotfor 3 years and never had interference with the electronics [sonor-gps] the best way I think to spider rig

Barnacle Bill
12-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Forgot to mention in case you didn't know. The built in xducer is only 12°.

Don G
12-26-2006, 09:34 PM
I agree with Frank...Had one for three years and never had a problem....Best ticket for trolling...A little slow if you fish around docks and need quick backup or turning...

I really didn't have a problem with the built in transducer but thought the factory transducers(Garmin,Lowrance,etc) were better..

Cane Pole
12-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Forgot to mention in case you didn't know. The built in xducer is only 12°.

That 12 at -3db or at -10db ? IF at 12, I can crank the sensitivity up some.

I got it for my laptop input when I get the sonar program for the laptop. I am negotiating this with a company in New Zealand.

Cane Pole
12-26-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree with Frank...Had one for three years and never had a problem....Best ticket for trolling...A little slow if you fish around docks and need quick backup or turning...

I really didn't have a problem with the built in transducer but thought the factory transducers(Garmin,Lowrance,etc) were better..

I got it for future use DonG. But I am gonna try it out and see what it does with the Lowrance 102c.

fishincrazy
12-27-2006, 06:19 AM
I have a Minn Kota with the built in transducer - ended up putting on original that came with the depth/fish finder. Never could get much sensitivity out of it. I'd imagine (hope??!!) they work better now.

ShilohRed
12-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Love mine. And the front depth finder shows the same stuff as the Hummimbird 987 does on the back. I do have to turn the front one up a little.
Hope you enjoy it a lot.
Wish I could order a new one from him ... Mine is starting to act up some but its only been used 4 hard years. Think its only in the foot control.

Pete

Barnacle Bill
12-27-2006, 08:44 AM
That 12 at -3db or at -10db ? IF at 12, I can crank the sensitivity up some.

I got it for my laptop input when I get the sonar program for the laptop. I am negotiating this with a company in New Zealand.

Another memory lapse.

FAQ — Universal Sonar
What is Minn Kota®’s cone angle?
There are several different methods of specifying transducer cone widths. In electronic terms, the decibel is used. By measuring the power level from the center axis of the transducer to the point at which power drops by one half, an accurate cone angle can be measured. Minn Kota®’s cone angle measures 14 degrees at -3dB.

Another disadvantage is it won't give you the temp readings

FAQ — Universal Sonar
Does Minn Kota®’s Universal Sonar transducer support temperature and speed functions?
There are no common/universal methods between sonar manufacturers for sensing temperature and speed, therefore Universal Sonar does not support these functions.

Here is the link to where I'm getting this info; http://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faq.asp?pg=sonar

1weezer
12-27-2006, 12:38 PM
The new ones that are coming out now does have the temperature. Am looking foreward to seeing how they do with this.

Barnacle Bill
12-27-2006, 01:24 PM
The new ones that are coming out now does have the temperature. Am looking foreward to seeing how they do with this.

I talked to our local MK repairman and asked him about taking MK's xducer out and putting my Lowrance xducer in using something like RTV. He said he'd never seen it done but didn't see any reason why it couldn't. It looks like it would be a close fit. I'm going to try it after my warranty expires.

1weezer
12-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I talked to our local MK repairman and asked him about taking MK's xducer out and putting my Lowrance xducer in using something like RTV. He said he'd never seen it done but didn't see any reason why it couldn't. It looks like it would be a close fit. I'm going to try it after my warranty expires.

The biggest problem would be getting it to seal off and not leak inside of the motor. I have relaced a few of them and it is a pretty tight fit.
Good luck.