HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best boat trailer tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best boat trailer tires?

Looking for a good set of tires for our boat trailer. Right now it has carlise tires on it that are two years old. We've had trouble with irregular wear and belts breaking. I've already replace one of em with the spare cause it was so bad. The trailer tracks straight and the thrust angle is good. Does anyone run radial tires on their trailers? I just wanna get the best tires for the money.
    Its a single axle trailer with a war eagle 2072 aluminum boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the best luck outta Carlisle Trail Rh tires.

Boat trailer came with Goodyear Marathons on it had 3 blow out in a year. switched to Carlisle in 2008 no problems since
    Likes RM Fishin LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most are foreign made today. That said most are pretty good tires. Goodyear Marathon were bad for awhile that is all supposed to be behind them. Kumho or how ever you speel it are good tires. Most will be D rated. Just buy a decent Radial made for trailer use and keep aired up between 45 to 50 PSI. No they do not need to be aired to the max on sidewall if over 50. That max on some of those tires is for a max load on any kinda of trailer, which in most cases your not going to be at.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes EARL KITCHENS LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Irregular wear is probably not a tire issue. Bent axle, bent spindle, loose bearings or an overloaded trailer are all common causes of uneven tire wear.
    Likes Billbob, wc870 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run these on my single axle trailer : ST175/80R13 LRD 8 Ply Kenda Karrier Radial Trailer Tire

My boat is a 16' fiberglass w/90hp outboard ... and has a dry weight of nearly 1800lbs. These radials require 65psi for that weight & highway speeds. I purchased them online & had them shipped to my home for around $160 (2 tires).
    They replaced the small truck tires that the original owner of the boat had on there .... after I had a blowout on the highway.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Irregular wear is probably not a tire issue. Bent axle, bent spindle, loose bearings or an overloaded trailer are all common causes of uneven tire wear.
    Or a Bias Ply not balanced

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I run these on my single axle trailer : ST175/80R13 LRD 8 Ply Kenda Karrier Radial Trailer Tire

My boat is a 16' fiberglass w/90hp outboard ... and has a dry weight of nearly 1800lbs. These radials require 65psi for that weight & highway speeds. I purchased them online & had them shipped to my home for around $160 (2 tires).
    They replaced the small truck tires that the original owner of the boat had on there .... after I had a blowout on the highway.

... cp
    Thanks cp. I'll check em out.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have 14s they say the Khumo 857s are the best. Good for 90 mph. or close to that. I have Carlisle as mine are 13s and cant complain. Usually run 65 to 75 depending whos driving. They are 4 yrs old and look like new.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I had to replace my original no name tires last year as the outside tread wore down to the cords, when I jacked it up to take them off I found the bearings were not loaded correctly, So I took them out cleaned repacked and set them correctly . I put Carlisles on it, had them on my duck boat for 8 yrs no issues and lots of miles. I'll let you know if the new set fails this year
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: Don't forget always have your trailer tires balanced. Good Luck this season. O - R
    Likes wilbur LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast