PDA

View Full Version : Small, Medium, or Large?!?

gabowman
12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Sitting here kinda bored after seeing tonight's weather forecast. Looks like 15 mph winds that'll keep me at home so as I sat I thought I'd see what size minnows you guys prefer using. All I usually buy are the small and pick out the largest of those. Some of the smallest are too little to survive a hook in 'em. The mediums I can buy look too large but am thinking of buying a couple pounds of 'em anyway just to see how they'll do. Theyre about as long as your index finger. What do you guys like?

crappiequeennc
12-26-2006, 03:48 PM
We buy the small one's...But most of the time you have a mixture in the bucket...Don't like them too small...And don't like them too big...

jcd
12-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi,

If you can get your hands on rosey reds?...I would get some of those...The rosey reds are really tough and seem to live longer than other minnows..I like using the smaller ones..

Jeremy
Thanks
Bye

bama647
12-26-2006, 04:31 PM
i thought of a post like this a couple of weeks ago. it seemed everytime i used a larger minnow all i would catch if anything was bass. the medium to small seemed to do better. i summed it all up to chance but maybe theres something to it after all. i never thought i say it but those bass really tick me off when im chasing those crappie. i think my cure was to put up the minnows untill spring and keep those jigs wet. i still catch more bass than i would like though.

Darryl Morris
12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Small - 3/4 to 1.5" long. Lip hook'em or if they're really small hook'em through the eyes and they'll live a little while.

bama647
12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
anyone ever try shiners? or are they much to large?

1weezer
12-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Depending on the time of year, in the winter I use small minnows. In the early spring I will use a med. And in late spring to early fall I will use the larger med. Usually hook them in the lips unless they are really small. Then it's in the eyes like Darryl said.

NIMROD
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
In Nimrod we used to use bass minnows trolling. I hate the real small minnows. But all we use now is large umbrella tube jigs. The bigger crappie seen to like big baits here. We catch crappie on bass baits in spring and summer.

Barnacle Bill
12-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Always use small. For some reason no one carries rosy reds around here.

Charger
12-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I have always used the mediums with very good results. Get bit too much by bluegills with the small ones.

crappiequeennc
12-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Never used shiners...But we have caught shad, and we have caught alot of nice sized crappie with them...

GRIZZ
12-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Well we used to be able to go to lake Erie and net these awesome emerald shiners but thats all banned now and I never use minners anyways. I'd say medium to small unless you have real whoppers down there that will hit the large ones. Index finger sized seems too large though in a minnow. I think you'd be better off with the little ones. 1-1.5 inches like Darryl said. Try hooking the little ones through the meat right behind the dorsal fin and use real small aberdeen fine wire red or chartreuse eagle claw hooks. Don't get the spine or guts. You'll get more hookups and great action with the minnows.

Darrell Baker
12-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I usually pick the size of the minnows depending on the time of year we are in. During the Spring, when we are fishing close to the spawn the medium size minnows seem to work really well. As we get into a summertime pattern and then on into the Fall of the year, I perfer the larger minnows. But just as some of the other have said...if you can find the Rosey Red...buy them!

Darrell Baker
Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
PO Box 778
Centre, Alabama 35960
Tele/ 256-927-2232
Cell/ 256-557-0129
www.weisslakecrappieguides.com

Darryl Morris
12-26-2006, 06:54 PM

We usually use the rosey reds because we can get them easily here in AR, but #4 or smaller shiners in the same 3/4 to 1.5" size range, if you can get them, works good too. In fact, we had a run in October where the crappie were taking the small shiners better than the roseys. I don't know why, but we usually catch our bigger crappie on small live baits and jigs. The smaller crappie are greedy and go after the bigger stuff for some reason. No matter what or where you are at, if the bite is slow and light, downsize the bait and present it as slow as you can and you'll boat some fish. Another bonus for using small live bait is when you buy by the pound. It's nice to get near 40 dozen per pound rather than 15-20 per pound. Size matters and I like small, lol, go figure.

Cane Pole
12-26-2006, 07:13 PM
QUOTE=Darryl Size matters and I like small, lol, go figure.
Funny.

I got some minnows last year with bug eyes and big head. I don't know what type they were, but they sure were tough to kill. Lasted 3 times longer than the silvers I usually get. Haven't seen any more like them since last year.
Anyone know what these were?

CrappiePappy
12-26-2006, 07:52 PM
QUOTE=Darryl Size matters and I like small, lol, go figure.
Funny.

I got some minnows last year with bug eyes and big head. I don't know what type they were, but they sure were tough to kill. Lasted 3 times longer than the silvers I usually get. Haven't seen any more like them since last year.
Anyone know what these were?

Could you have gotten into some "Fathead" minnows ??

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2003-03/6968655.jpg

The "silvers" you are referring to, are probably "Bluntnose" minnows :

http://www.ohiodnr.com/WILDLIFE/Images/fishing/bluntnos.jpg

Notice that the Fathead has a deeper body & stripe doesn't run entire length. Fathead males, during their spawning times, are much darker in color (some almost turning black) and may have "bumps" on their nose/face.
The Rosey Red is a Fathead variation. Fatheads have a "nickname", that most people recognize ....... "Tuffy Minnows" ;) ......... cp :cool:

Cane Pole
12-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Could be CP, but I don't remember exactly. They had big bulging eyes. Kinda like a guppy fish.

sds888
12-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I have always used the medium with a number 4 hook but I have only been crappie fishing about a year now. I will have to try the small. I know about that wind I was hoping to get out there today but could so I worked on the boat.
stephen