Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: December Crappie Fishing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default December Crappie Fishing!!

Since we are still waiting for ICE are there any suggestions on how to fish for crappie this time of season and what to use? Also what time of day would be the most productive?
    Last edited by Len; 12-26-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We are using the same hooks and baits as we would on the ice just longer poles and fishing from shore or boats. Slow steady presentation with ice jigs and minnows, waxworms or spikes is working just fine around here.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly suggest downsizing.Sometimes crappies tend to chase only small offerings in the winter months.Go with jigs as small as 1/100th oz,and 1/80th oz. sizes

Cabela's sells 25 for $3.99

I would also suggest tipping them with a chunk of plastic from Lobybaits.com,like the maki,which immitates an insect.They are pretty deadly on crappies,and bullgills.

Happy New Year to yah!:D

Good luck!
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 12-27-2006 at 04:10 PM.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Default winter strategies

Here in NE kansas we only get ice about every 5 years but I incorporate alot of ice fishing gear into my lineup when the water temp drops below 40 degrees. When I am fishing boat docks I use ice gear to coax hits out of inactive fish. Where I fish we have mainly white crappie and I think they act a little different than black. I like 64thoz deer hair jigs or any jig with a stiff tail, but my favorites are the spoons, swedish pimples reeled up super slow are great, I also love the #6 willow spoons from customjigs&spins. I normally tip my spoons with a crappie nibble. Out on the lake its a different ballgame, we have big schools of shad and the big crappie are feeding beneath them, these are active fish and you want to match the size shad they are eating so we use 1/8 to 1/4 oz heads with large tails. Baily magnets are a good choice for this. Well I hope this helps. ERIC