Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rig nets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig nets?

New to spider rigging. Been seeing folks on TV using these really super long nets to help netting fish on spider rigs. I've googled nets and can't seem to find what they are using. I've got a good net already but was wondering if the long handle really matters?

Post Thanks / Like

I used a piece of PVC schedule 40 pipe about 3' long and slid it up over the original handle about 6-8" and used 2 screws to extend my net. Helps being able to stay in your seat while landing your fish with long poles. Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Stoutest out there that I have used is the Crappie Master Net, extends to over 13 feet but its a 2 man operation, not for someone fishing alone.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Are you losing a lot of fish by not using a long net or no net at all? Most anglers I know that use the long nets are avid anglers or competitors that want to make sure to land every single fish in case of tourneys or like bragging rights. They just can't afford to lose any fish therefore they use the net to make sure.
    Since I do not use a long net (mine is 6' long) to land the fish I have learned to pick them up quickly and bring them in. Sure I lose some but the hassle of dealing with a longer net can sometimes be a hassle with all the rods you have out and you are by yourself.
    Do yourself a favor and just learn to set the hook quickly and bring them up to the surface swiftly and out of the water before they have a chance to "splash" off. Most of the time the fish are docile that way until you get them in the boat and touch them. They will not normally jerk around on the line while out of the water until close to the boat or you touch them. I think it's the shock factor.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with kickingback. I only use a net on big crappie most of them get flipped in the boat. My net is about 4 ft long if I catch a 2 lb + I'll use the net. Them long nets just get in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    I'm with kickingback. I only use a net on big crappie most of them get flipped in the boat. My net is about 4 ft long if I catch a 2 lb + I'll use the net. Them long nets just get in the way.
    Have to agree, only time we use a net is in a tourney or when guiding, otherwise it may not even be in the boat.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425238871.564469.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  104.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425238890.547423.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  51.2 KB
    I sell these.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I was just curious as I was not finding any online. I'll probably stick with my standard net currently.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to spider rigging,but I fish from a kayak,often with 13' BNM's anchored over or near stumps,brush or sunken logs.To prevent Johnny sneakums from circling me like a wagon train convoy,I quickly lift crappie just enough to clear the hull.A long net in a kayak is problematic I suspect,even when spider rigging.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cabelas.com/product/EGO-R...4013991&rid=20

I have 2 of these. I can handle by myself without to much trouble when extended even though I don't have the upper body strength I used to. I usually keep it shortened up some though.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast