Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Crappie Rigs (Rod/Reel)?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideal Crappie Rigs (Rod/Reel)?

I currently use a 5.5' ultra light Ugly Stik with an ultralight reel and 4 lb test. The outfit is probable 20 years old and I'm sure there is new technology out there. The problem with it is that it is very difficult to cast 1/32 oz jigs with this set up. I generally fish from sure; so distance is an issue and I end up with a lot of tangled line and no distance.

Guess I'm just looking for what you all use for shore fishing that will get the lure to the fish without tangling line all the time. If you could list your rod and reel models that you use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using those Wally Marshall combos from Bass Pro.They have a bunch of different ones to choose from and the price is real decent.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jhaiken,

Another option is to use a long crappie rod....Use the 1/32 ounce jig but use a small weighted bobber...You will be able to cast further...Plus you will be able twitch the bobber/jig...Give it a try.....

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

A longer rod will help you with distance. For shore fishing, I'm currently using a 7.5' Bass Pro Microlite. It's a nice little rod, and they're on sale right now for $29.99.

I like Shimano or Daiwa reels. They have great line lay which will also help you with distance. My current favorite is the Daiwa SS 700. I have no problem casting 1/32 oz. jigs on this outfit.

If you still have problem with distance, you might switch to 2 lb. mono or braid. The thinner diameter line will add to your distance.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a wally marshall 10 ft. rod with a shimano reel with enough line capacity for 150 yards and a 1/16 oz. jighead with a curly tail.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

I got a wally marshall 10 ft rod for christmas and love it. It is the perfect lenght for me as well as very senstive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a BPS MicroLite Float-N-Fly 9.5 ft rod and love it. Good sensitivity and long enough to get a little reach from the boat when vertical jigging. Plus you can cast a light jig a very long way with 4lb test. I'm sure there are other great combos out there as well.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I agree in principal ....

Quote Originally Posted by jhaiken
    I currently use a 5.5' ultra light Ugly Stik with an ultralight reel and 4 lb test. The outfit is probable 20 years old and I'm sure there is new technology out there. The problem with it is that it is very difficult to cast 1/32 oz jigs with this set up. I generally fish from sure; so distance is an issue and I end up with a lot of tangled line and no distance.

Guess I'm just looking for what you all use for shore fishing that will get the lure to the fish without tangling line all the time. If you could list your rod and reel models that you use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    with the others ... a longer rod could be a factor. But, a reel with a larger spool diameter can be an even bigger factor. This holds true especially when throwing a very light jig. Even so .... you're only going to get so much distance from a 1/32oz jig, alone. And, while weighted bobbers will give you greater distance ... they may restrict the depth you can reach (which can be a positive or negative factor). A slip float can remedy that, somewhat, but may need extra weight attached to the line ... in order to pull the line thru it, if the jig won't. Also, floats & bobbers can be detrimental to a (distant) hookset ... especially with a short rod.
    Are your line tangle problems due to "wind" ... or is the line twisted from previous usage ? Wind can be overcome, somewhat, by casting sidearm .... or by adding a BB splitshot about 6" up the line from the jig. You can help compensate for the added weight, by holding the rod tip at the 11:00 position. This "help" is even more pronounced, when using a longer rod. If the line is twisted from prior usage ... unspooling about 1/3 of the line off the spool, while walking around in the yard (grass), then reeling the line back on (with finger tension) should take a good percentage of the twist out of it. You would, of course, not have anything attached to the line while doing this "untwisting" trick.
    If the line has been on the reel for more than 1yr ... whether you've used it very much or not ... it's time for some new line !! After properly spooling fresh line onto your reel ... you should see increased distance in your casts. A spray of Blakemore Real Magic to the line, prior to heading to the water, could also help increase your casting distance. (the silicone in it makes the line "slick", so it comes off the spool and flows thru the guides easier).
    .... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    with the others ... a longer rod could be a factor. But, a reel with a larger spool diameter can be an even bigger factor. This holds true especially when throwing a very light jig. Even so .... you're only going to get so much distance from a 1/32oz jig, alone. And, while weighted bobbers will give you greater distance ... they may restrict the depth you can reach (which can be a positive or negative factor). A slip float can remedy that, somewhat, but may need extra weight attached to the line ... in order to pull the line thru it, if the jig won't. Also, floats & bobbers can be detrimental to a (distant) hookset ... especially with a short rod.
    Are your line tangle problems due to "wind" ... or is the line twisted from previous usage ? Wind can be overcome, somewhat, by casting sidearm .... or by adding a BB splitshot about 6" up the line from the jig. You can help compensate for the added weight, by holding the rod tip at the 11:00 position. This "help" is even more pronounced, when using a longer rod. If the line is twisted from prior usage ... unspooling about 1/3 of the line off the spool, while walking around in the yard (grass), then reeling the line back on (with finger tension) should take a good percentage of the twist out of it. You would, of course, not have anything attached to the line while doing this "untwisting" trick.
    If the line has been on the reel for more than 1yr ... whether you've used it very much or not ... it's time for some new line !! After properly spooling fresh line onto your reel ... you should see increased distance in your casts. A spray of Blakemore Real Magic to the line, prior to heading to the water, could also help increase your casting distance. (the silicone in it makes the line "slick", so it comes off the spool and flows thru the guides easier).
    .... luck2ya ... cp
    I think most of the line tangle is a combination of mono line+light jig+over casting to get more distance. Think I'll grab one of the longer crappie rods and give that a shot. Just have to decide on the one I want.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

A late 80's early 90's Zebco 33 with a 5'6" medium ugly stick!:D The IDEAL combo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast