Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Use a Mono Leader ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Use a Mono Leader ?

Hello,

Was wondering if you experts think it is necessary, or a good idea, to have a clear mono leader
    between the end of the line and the lure (perhaps 8" or so), or just tie the line to the lure/worm ?

Make any difference ? Ever ? Why ?

Same answer for Largemouth and Smallmouth ?

I use Power Pro (green) line. Pond fishing mainly.

Regards,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

First not an expert, still learning everyday. I use mostly fluro leaders, lighter than the braid (Nano or Power Pro) I am using(8 lb braid 6#fluro). I attach with an Alberto knot, very small. Generally I start with a length, that keeps the knot off the reel. ie, 6'6" rod, use 7-7'6" length of fluro. I use the mist nano (6-8 lb) or white Power Pro(8#-1dia), reason being i can see and detect bites better. If I were tying direct would use the green, but hard for my old eyes to see. no stretch feels good to me. I use a loop knot to attach jig as the palamar seemed to fail on the fluro for me. Another tip, rather than tie the alberto as most u tube videos, I wrap with the nano or braid around the mono or fluro seems to have few failures that way. my 2 cents.
    g

Post Thanks / Like

Robert11; A lot of the time and understand I am no pro just learning myself, the reason for a mono leader is because it will be the weaker link to break off in case you get hung up and not lose your expensive line and weights. It is also used in a smaller diameter to be less seen by fish and the presentation will look more natural as also the lure is able to perform better. I know there have been a lot of hype about colors of line and you name it but I don't know of any line that has not caught fish. It is just something that you have to try. This week you may catch fish one way next week it will not work so we try another way. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching. Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes EARL KITCHENS LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert11 View Post
    Hello,

Was wondering if you experts think it is necessary, or a good idea, to have a clear mono leader
    between the end of the line and the lure (perhaps 8" or so), or just tie the line to the lure/worm ?

Make any difference ? Ever ? Why ?

Same answer for Largemouth and Smallmouth ?

I use Power Pro (green) line. Pond fishing mainly.

Regards,
    Bob
    I don't ... and I use PowerPro hi-vis 10/2 tied directly to my lures.

When I used to use Spiderwire 20/6 (grey) for slip float/minnow fishing in the standing cedar tree branches ... I didn't then, either.

Way back when I used to fish Barkley Lake's buck brush (button bush) and was using Cortland 15lb braid - slip float - minnow ... yeah, I did. I had 8lb test mono leader, and the only reason I did was to be able to break the leader if I got hung up, since I was using a 10ft collapsible pole to reach back into the bushes and didn't think the pole would hold up to breaking the braid by itself (if I couldn't reach the braid by hand).

It probably can make a difference, at times or under extremely clear water conditions, as far as whether you get bit or not ... regardless of the species you fish for, or where you fish. Some say that braid &/or hi-vis mono spooks fish, and it might under certain circumstances ... I just haven't fished in any of those situations, and I've fished clear mono side by side with hi-vis mono & caught fish on both.

I'm of the opinion that "you" spook fish more often than your line does ... making noise in the boat, your movements/shadow, close proximity to the fish when they're shallow or in crystal clear water, your boat & its shadow, trolling motor wake, and possibly even your depthfinder's sonar signal are just some of the things that I think are more likely to spook fish than your line. I don't think fish have the brains to "think" that visible fishing line is a danger to them ... and I think that way because I remember way back in the "good ole days" when people were catching fish on black nylon fishing line !!

If it's a confidence thing to you, use it ... I doubt it will be a negative move, if you do, and if it gives you more confidence using it, then you lose nothing by doing so.

... cp
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Main reason you would probably be better off with a leader is that braid is less than ideal with respect to abrasion resistance. Consequently, mono is less abrasion resistant than fluorocarbon. So, if you are fishing sub-surface, I'd recommend a fluorocarbon leader vs. monofilament. Unless you are fishing top waters. Here, monofilament has the edge due to it's floatation characteristics, whereas fluoro has a tendency to sink more rapidly. And this holds true regardless of the species you are fishing for.

Tie the lead to the braid via an Alberto knot and you're good to go. I'd use at least a 3' section, as this will afford you a bit of shock resistance as well. Fluoro does stretch, regardless of the claims of some manufacturers. As a side note, mono stretches even more than fluoro. A side benefit of a fluorocarbon leader is it's near invisibility under the surface. Another plus, although not the primary reason for using this material as a leader.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

really depends on the clarity of the water. In clear water any kind of fish can be line shy. That's why most people use a leader. I don't use braids unless I'm fishing grass or need strong line on a Lowe capacity reel. To answer your question if you're not getting bites try a leader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    really depends on the clarity of the water. In clear water any kind of fish can be line shy. That's why most people use a leader. I don't use braids unless I'm fishing grass or need strong line on a Lowe capacity reel. To answer your question if you're not getting bites try a leader.
    X2!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish clearer water so I do.
    Also the other reason guys do is mono stretches. Braid does not. Most guys have trouble hook g fish cause the rip it from there mouth on too hard of hook set. So either loosen your day on use mono to stretch some to avoid missing fish.
    If you fish stained water like allot of southern guys seem to. I would tie directly and learn to not set hook as hard as you would would with mono. Guys use high viz all time with no problems in stained water

Post Thanks / Like

I use a flourocarbon leader with all of my braid. Main reason is that it easier for me to tie flourocarbon also easier for me to clip off and retie a different lure.