HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long lining verses spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining verses spider rigging

What benefit does long lining jigs have over spider rigging or vice versa? I've never long lined but I'm interested why one of these techniques would be used over the other? I can see how spider rigging would be better suited for shallow water than long lining, but other than that I'm clueless.

Post Thanks / Like

cover more water long lining but both have advantages. I prefer to long line but that's just me.
    Set da hook

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I longline when the wind comes up (4 poles). My spider is handicapped. It only has 2-3 legs.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Long lining covers more water and targets aggressive feeding fish. I prefer it over spider rigging, which I mainly do in the winter. Once the water hits 55* I am on the hunt long lining jigs.

Add snap on corks and you can long line shallow as well...
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

Post Thanks / Like

Longlining covers more water targeting the more aggressive feeding fish as said above. You can longline in any depth water you just have to change jig weight and line length. Some lakes and times of year spider rigging can be better. This targets more lethargic fish with a slower more accurate presentation. Learning both tactics along with shooting docks and vertical jigging is a must when year round fishing different lakes. Such as following tournament trails.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to spider rig when I have known areas to target (say a line of stumps or old road bed), while long-line is more of general area target (say edge of a flat). Also my speed can go higher with long lining. Both have there place, and nothing says you can't do both at the same time.
    Thanks Ralo79 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Crappielimets is spot on knowing both ways is best. Master one then the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    Longlining covers more water targeting the more aggressive feeding fish as said above. You can longline in any depth water you just have to change jig weight and line length. Some lakes and times of year spider rigging can be better. This targets more lethargic fish with a slower more accurate presentation. Learning both tactics along with shooting docks and vertical jigging is a must when year round fishing different lakes. Such as following tournament trails.
    What he said!