Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Lining Newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Lining Newbie

I've been reading a lot on this board about long lining. Just wondering about what kind of jig body is the best, tube type,curly tail or something else. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

my favorite is a curly tail road runner. 1/16th ounce. bobby garland swim'r shad is a very close second also on a roadrunner head

Post Thanks / Like

That's going to change from day to day I use all kinds to start with. what ever works that day is what I change everything to. If I have 10 rods out I'll have 10 different jigs on to start with.
    Likes love2fish LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is a triple tail on an eighth oz head, tipped with a nibble.

Post Thanks / Like

I use jigs and cranks behind a "Carolina" style set up. That means putting a weight (like 1/2 oz egg sinker) on the main line followedby a bead and then a swivel. On the other end of the swivel, tight about 1 1/2' to 2' leader (I mostly use 10# fluorocarbon leader material). On the business end of the leader, tie on a jig or crankbait. Also in colder water, tipping the jig with a minnow helps a lot. Nibbles also help if you do not have mnnows. This time of year I have found moving about 0.5 to 0.8 miles and hour works much better. As the water warms, I gradually increase speed. About the maximum speed is 1.5 mph.
    These photos are from two days ago. The crappie was on a Matzuo Nano Cranker and a jig for the striper. I hope this helps.

Name:  CanyonF 2-25-15.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  69.3 KBName:  CanyonB 2-25-15.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  62.6 KB

Teach 'Em to Fish Guide Service

210-771-0123

Exchange Stress for Relaxation, Fun and Memories!
    Barry
    Likes RWiske, love2fish, kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question the curl tail types. I usually prefer a hot grub or kalins type, but also stock awds and triple tails which have more action at slower speeds and give more color selections. Roadrunner heads give you more options too and can give more action at slower speeds too. There heads don't factor on the weight of the blade/swivel so they will run significantly deeper. Horse heads also tend to twist if run in doubles and vibrate your tips a lot too. The flash can be great in muddy/stained water. Though, they can spook fish in clearer conditions. Another tip is to never tip a curtail type jig with a minnow, it takes the action from the tail. I don't recommend tipping at all when longlining but if you must use a Hal-fly type jig instead.
    Likes TETF LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use curly tail and bobby garland baby shad. More important is finding the color they want. If water is slightly to heavy stain you can't go wrong with black and chartreuse, I have them on four of six rods to start then go lighter colors later in the day if bite slows.

Post Thanks / Like

Curly tail and baby shad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Hot Grubs, Cajun Critters, Stroll R's and sliders. Pullem on Roadrunners and plain jigheads. But when the bite is right it wouldnt matter what yer pullin if the bait pulls by their face.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep saying that I am going to use jigs more but I just keep using minnows, Hard to break old habits and if it ain't broke don't fix it way of fishing. If all else fails you can try a minnow is my advice. Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast