Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: In our missouri lakes, do fish grow during the winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default In our missouri lakes, do fish grow during the winter?

if so would not more keeper size be caught early in the year than later? Or do they grow faster in the summer and so more keepers in the fall... or is it a wash.. and yes I am froze in and bored!

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the species and their water temperature preference. Our typical fish, bass, catfish, crappie, bluegill grow in warmer water and not so much, if any, in the winter. Walleye can probably grow well in the cooler months and not so much in the hottest part of the year. There has been some research to indicate that crappie don't do as well when the water temp is in the 80's. In general our growing season is the 8-9 warmest months. Unless it's trout, then cold is better.
    Likes long poler, south point, dfar, catman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I know we find a lot of shad in the stomachs of winter caught. You would assume some growth occurs in cold weather but I would think less so than in the spring. Has this been posted on the ask the biologist page?
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.
    Likes catman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yep crappie grow all year long, some fast when they start out, then slow down the older they get, got or cold, rain or shine they grow all year.

Exception to the rule.... over populated lakes can have a large number of stunted fish do to food supply. to many eaters not enough to eat. but then we are talking Crappie, right, Cause this is a crappie,site,,,, Large predators love over populated crappie,,, more for them to eat.

Post Thanks / Like

At some point in cold months, some crappie utilize much of their energy intake for gonad development instead of growth. So they may be eating, but much of that energy is used for egg development, etc. until after the spawn.
    Likes jigfisherx LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

keeferfish should utilize some energy intake for gonad development.

Likes rondo, got crappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't get out and catch them ,they must still be growing.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are feeding all winter at night under the lights, when its not frozen over. I can catch them every night around the lights by casting out and hitting on the fall. They hit hard and fight hard. Most are full of shad too. Miss some sleep but have a ball! I would think they grow a little from all they eat and being that active.