Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Search

vanman Guest

Lightbulb The Search

I am new to the fort bragg area in nc have heard alot about falls and jordan lakes and will start fishing after 1st of the year like to fish crappies and would like some ideas for starting points also later in spring would like to know of walleye lakes in nc fish hard:

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation VanMan ....

Quote Originally Posted by vanman
    I am new to the fort bragg area in nc have heard alot about falls and jordan lakes and will start fishing after 1st of the year like to fish crappies and would like some ideas for starting points also later in spring would like to know of walleye lakes in nc fish hard:
    I can't help you on the lakes in that area. Unfortunately, when I was at Ft Bragg, I didn't have time to fish or even scout the local waters .... :D
    Check out the NC State forum ... those lakes are mentioned in there, and you'll probably get more replies from the knowledgeable locals that hang out there. ....... Welcome to Crappie.com ...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't tell you anything about Falls, but Jordan Lake has some good winter fishing. First get one of those fishing hot spots maps of Jordan Lake, or Falls, they are very good maps and they show boat ramps, fish attractors, caution areas, depth, etc. I would suggest to drop a minnow to the bottom of a drop-off or channel this time of year. Some of the regulars could tell you some better spots than I could. Also, the regulars like Chief and Anchorpuller(if I'm wrong about any of this please correct me) should be able to help you if you like jigs since I'm new to jigs. I hear of a lot of fish caught around the Farrington Rd. bridge at the upper end of the lake and what's called the "S-Turns" are good in the winter since there are drop-offs and deep water.

Hope this helps and check the NC board on a regular basis to get fishing reports. BTW- are you stationed at Ft. Bragg or have you just moved to the area?
    Last edited by turkeyfootnc; 12-26-2006 at 09:43 PM.

vanman Guest

Thanks for the ideas for Jordan I am looking forward to the chance to get out there and explore As for our military involvement I am x-navy and my wife is a active army nurse

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Vanman. Jordan is probably closer to you than Falls and offers some great fishing year round. I do believe I'm going to be slipping out of here in a few minutes to check out a few choice locations at Jordan today. Turkeyfoot is right, get you a map of the lake. I know they have em in Walmart, Kmart, and many of the little tackle/bait shops near the lake.

I like to fish at night when it's not SO cold, so I use minnows a lot. I'm learning the jig thang with a lot of help from here.

I haven't been fishing in over a month so I'm not sure exactly where the fish are right now, but I have a few ideas. Maybe I'll have a clearer picture for ya tonight.

Again, Turkeyfoot is right. In the winter, find some of the deeper water with channel drop offs or some deeper structure. Up towards the Farrington Bridge or 64 bridge is a good start. I personally like the deeper structure down toward the dam too.

Good luck!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them