Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: No Culling law for 2005!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry No Culling law for 2005!

Well I personally think this sucks, but Iowa has implemented a new no culling law with the only exception to the rule being for licenced Black Bass tournaments. Since I am a Crappie tournament fisherman, I am not happy at all about this broad and unbiased regulation at all. This will definitely have a negative impact on any future Crappie tournaments that might have brought more commerse to the state of Iowa. There will more than likely be less draw this year for the scheduled tournaments as a result of this regulation.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,
    The same rule has applied to missouri for long time, I dont see why a trash fish tournament. Should get special treatment, I know that crappie usa is going to catch and release after weigh in. I wonder if they could change it for crappie tournaments also?
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope so! This new " No Cull Law" combined with a daily bag limit really makes it tough to choose which fish to hold for weigh in. CAST has a self imposed limit of no more than 20 fish in the boat at any given time. And I thought that created somewhat of a problem! Man, when you get into some Crappie, the pace can be fast & furious, and the bite can end instantly for the rest of the day without notice. If you have to stop to weigh each and every fish, tht will cut down you productivity time significantly. This really has me worried.

Just a thought... I guess I could circle hook the fish on spare poles that are dragging behind the boat... Hmm! :D

<*}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 01-05-2005 at 11:52 AM.

gills and specks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Well I personally think this sucks, but Iowa has implemented a new no culling law with the only exception to the rule being for licenced Black Bass tournaments. Since I am a Crappie tournament fisherman, I am not happy at all about this broad and unbiased regulation at all. This will definitely have a negative impact on any future Crappie tournaments that might have brought more commerse to the state of Iowa. There will more than likely be less draw this year for the scheduled tournaments as a result of this regulation.

gills and specks Guest

So, can't you just keep the smaller ones in an other live well & not cull them as
    Iowa does not have a limit on Crappies on the inland lakes & rivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Wish it were that easy..

Quote Originally Posted by gills and specks
    So, can't you just keep the smaller ones in an other live well & not cull them as
    Iowa does not have a limit on Crappies on the inland lakes & rivers.

Welcome to the board G & S! I would of answered sooner, but I just returned from Las Vegas last night. I left on the 16th. Vegas - LSS -Ouch! I believe I have seen you post on Iowa Outdoors's board too.

I have heard (and believe) that as soon as in the next two years, there will be state wide creels imposed on all panfish in Iowa in addition to this "no cull law".

The current problem my team is faced with is that we are only allowed a total of 20 fish in the boat at any one given time for some of our tournamnets. We've done pretty well in the past here, and were pretty confident that we'd win instead of place this year. Our tournamnet rules, combined with no culling, makes this very tough since most of the fish we will catch are nearly mirror clones of each other. We may still place abiding by this new law, but we want 1st. It is paramount to us to shine for our Sponsors, and in doing so, attracting more media coverage to our home waters as well.

If you have had a chance to read my posts concerning this on the other boards, you know how strongly I feel about this new law. This, combined with a 2 fishing pole maximum, may very well be the death blow combination to completely eliminate Iowa's Crappie tournaments in the future. Other state anglers, especially Southern Crappie anglers, just will not come in numbers to compete under these types of restrictions.

I, for one, advocate conservation efforts that are imposed by the DNR for the greater good of our natural resources. Especially when considerable research has been directed to redefining any conservatory amendments. I believe in supporting the good, and not the greed of us all. But, I however, feel that the "no cull rule" is utterly B.S. in regards to panfish.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 01-24-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim, Why not e-mail Marion C. ( Head DNR ) and ask how he justifies an exception's for the bass tournaments and not the 100% catch & release crappies tournaments.I think he needs to be bomed with this ? from all the crappie tournament fishermen in Iowa.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lebruce
    Hey Tim, Why not e-mail Marion C. ( Head DNR ) and ask how he justifies an exception's for the bass tournaments and not the 100% catch & release crappies tournaments.I think he needs to be bomed with this ? from all the crappie tournament fishermen in Iowa.
    I'd be glad to Lee. Drop me a PM of the right email address if you have it, and I will do just that. I will also make sure it is discussed at all of the seminars too.

BTW Did you trap? Should of been a good Winter for fur! Full baskets to ya!

<,"}/>{Rippa