Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hooking Minnows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooking Minnows?

I just read an article on MS Sportsman web where a minnow hooked upside down on a jig is more active and appears to be wounded to entice crappie to bite. It wiggles to try and upright itself.
    I'm going to try that. Anybody out there hook 'em like that? If so, I'm interested to hear!

Post Thanks / Like

I hook mine in the dorsal fin or the lip parallel to the earth. If I want the minnows to swim erratically i use a small pair of scissors and snip the upper tail fin and leave the bottom tail fin alone. This causes them to swim in circles like a wounded fish.
    I am interested to know myself about the results of your question!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

It does make sense. Will definitely try it out.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like another trick to add to the old fishing arsenal. Maybe a trick for when they just don't won't to bite(like in the winter). But I hook my minnows in the lip when moving and in the dorsal fin when setting still to keep them active and a live longer. I have pinched off part of a bigger minnows tail to slow him down before also. Good post thanks for sharing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My late fishing buddy used to hook minnows thru the eye sockets on a JIG !! He caught fish right along with me & my "nose hooked" minnow on a jig .... so I'd say it would work.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use minnows now days but used to hook them all kinds of ways sometimes it would make a difference. I remember one night we were fishing under a very popular bridge and we were catching crappie slowly and I started hooking minnows through the tail and letting them fall on a semi slack line and started killing them. There were 6 other boats under that bridge all them started doing the same thing with the same results.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hook em thru the eyes. Bite off a piece of gummy worm and stick it on the hook point to keep the minnow from getting off the hook when the eyeball fall out. Tastes lots better than crappie nibbles. Minners last a long time hooked thru the eyes.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago when I used minnows , we hooked them through the lips or eyes . Trolled them and thought they looked more natural. Never heard of hooking upside down. That might make them wiggle more trying to right them selves.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I hook em threw the eyes,They stay lively and plus there not going to like to see what is going to happen to em.
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually hook them just behind the dorsal fin when fishing them alone. Through the lips when on a jig