Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie nibbles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie nibbles

What is the general opinion on tipping jigs with crappie nibbles? Are they anywhere close to being as effective as minnows. I'm trying to pick up any tips I can
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they anywhere close to being as effective as minnows

My answer would be no. At times nothing is more effective than a minnow. They're made to tip a jig or other bait, not to be fished alone if I understand your question correctly though.

I don't think they hurt anything and I know quite a few guys that wont fish without them but I seldom use them myself and its mostly because I can't seem to keep em on my hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I always have them with me, good for when I don't want to mess with minnows. You just have to activate them first. 2 - 3 minutes between cheek and gums usually does it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use em but the bass seem to like them more than the crappie for me. I use them to tip on plastic jigs.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Some swear by them but myself have no faith in them period. Bluegill love them. lol Did an experiment once using Umbrella tubes on stakebeds. I would fish till bite stopped then add nibble and fish each spot several more minutes at each bed. End results were no more Crappie so that was the end of my testing. I know guys that swear by nibbles but it may be a confidence thing ?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I don't leave home without them, but I don't use them all the time. Just when the bite is tough.

Now if you pick the hole clean before hand..............

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feed back. I think I'll experiment with them but I like my minnows.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    Thanks for the feed back. I think I'll experiment with them but I like my minnows.
    If you are using hollow tubes ... rather than put the nibble on the hook, force a few of them up into the hollow of the tube & then put the tube on your jighead. This will allow the nibble to put out its scent, stay on the hook, and not be subject to having Bluegill or other small fish peck it off the hook.
    If you're using a solid body plastic on your jig and want to "tip" the hook with a nibble .... set a few of them out in the Sun until they get dried out a little. Then put them on the hook. They'll stay on a little longer than if you just take them out of the jar and put them on the hook.

OR ... you could consider trying these : Gewbers jig enhancing scented bait

You can read about them in the threads of this forum : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/gewbe...eedback-forum/

... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfar View Post
    I don't leave home without them, but I don't use them all the time. Just when the bite is tough.

Now if you pick the hole clean before hand..............
    Well if you catch all that bite in a spot without then why would you use them unless they trigger more bites ?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

You have to remember that Crappie Nibbles are used to attract the fish however I believe they are more effective in getting the fish to hold on to the jig a second or two longer because of the taste. Fish inhale or taste the bait usually and having the nibble will get the fish to hold it or hit it again to get the taste and give you time to set the hook. This is the reason most use the nibbles with jigs.
    Minnows are a whole different bait. They are lively and move on their own and have scent built in and taste as they taste to fish. No need to use a third party attractant.
    Also the nibbles are best "molded" onto the hook at the very tip to entice the bite there.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes TurboDan, Nory, xXSmokeXx LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast