Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling speed before Ipilot and Variable speed motors??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling speed before Ipilot and Variable speed motors??

For long line trolling??
    What did you guys do before the ipilot and or variable motors, to control your speed?

My 16 aluminum boat has a 5 speed bow mount motor and slow is around .5mph next speed is around 1.2mph. After much reading I see that .9mph is a favored speed. Never did much trolling in all my years of fishing, where I lived up North we only fished for crappie in the early spring.

I just acquired a 12' foot log chain which I have cut in half, will try to use this next time out.

Please if I could afford an Ipilot I would have one, so that's not the answer.

Thanks,
    Pescador

Post Thanks / Like

Drag a 5 gallon bucket, should do the trick
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes Cane Pole, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Pull the 1.2 and vary the size of your jigheads to get the depth you need. Not many states have the shallow lakes we do. I pull 1.1 - 1.4 on Monroe and 1.3 is my preferred. I have even had to pull as fast as 2.3 with 1/8th oz in fall when they are wanting to chase baits. If ya feel ya gotta slow down use a sock or bucket as stated. But if ya look at a treadmill on .8 versus 1,4 there aint much difference. Your just moving your baits higher or lower in the water column. Now spiderrigging is a whole nother topic. Thats just my $.02 and worth exactly what ya paid for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Pull the 1.2 and vary the size of your jigheads to get the depth you need. Not many states have the shallow lakes we do. I pull 1.1 - 1.4 on Monroe and 1.3 is my preferred. I have even had to pull as fast as 2.3 with 1/8th oz in fall when they are wanting to chase baits. If ya feel ya gotta slow down use a sock or bucket as stated. But if ya look at a treadmill on .8 versus 1,4 there aint much difference. Your just moving your baits higher or lower in the water column. Now spiderrigging is a whole nother topic. Thats just my $.02 and worth exactly what ya paid for it.
    Now huntinslabs, I appreciate your advice more than you might think! I would send you your $.02, but the dang stamp would cost me $.49. I sure hope a Big Thank You, will be sufficient?
    Likes Idunno LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Go to ebay and look up max speed controller Range from 20 to 50 dollars. Make sure unit has enough amps for your trolling motor. You can also put a bump switch in the floor that will let you turn motor on and off by pressing button down. If you are going to fast release button and cruise until speed becomes to slow then hit button to regain desired speed Less than 20 bucks for switch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    Now huntinslabs, I appreciate your advice more than you might think! I would send you your $.02, but the dang stamp would cost me $.49. I sure hope a Big Thank You, will be sufficient?
    Glad to help ya. Still running a 5 speed cable steer on my boat too. Old was as well and the reason behind the 1.3 is simply cause thats what my old boat ran on 3 so I know what my baits are doing. Go pull em and change things up until your comfortable and catching fish.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your on the right track with that chain. Might want to use both sections one on either side. Make it a lot easier to control boat. Put about 30/40 feet of rope on both. Tie a overhand loop knot about every 5 ft. Use a Cheap Caribeaner to attach to your tie downs. Letting out more to slow down shorter to speed up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Your on the right track with that chain. Might want to use both sections one on either side. Make it a lot easier to control boat. Put about 30/40 feet of rope on both. Tie a overhand loop knot about every 5 ft. Use a Cheap Caribeaner to attach to your tie downs. Letting out more to slow down shorter to speed up.
    Thanks cray Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I bought my ipilot I used a rheostat.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker123 View Post
    Before I bought my ipilot I used a rheostat.
    I am afraid, I would do more harm than good! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast