Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is adding ethanol to gas a positive or negative benefit to our country?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is adding ethanol to gas a positive or negative benefit to our country?

I've heard a lot of negative things regarding ethanol but noticed Crappie Masters had a segment on it. Curious what are the advantages and disadvantages some of you have found.

I know what some of the reputable mechanics who have worked on my boat have given me but wondered how it was working in your boat.

Also wouldn't mind hearing the overall effects of adding ethanol to gas is having in this country.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't like ethanol. The small motor mechanics in my town told me that they like it, it keeps them in business. That every spring and summer people bring there lawn mowers and weed eaters to them to do carburetor repairs due to the ethanol gas left in them thru the winter. I have tried running it in my 1991 25hp johnson outboard one time. It ran terrible I went home and poured it out. Now I buy premium non ethanol gas with no problems. I also use premium non ethanol gas in all my small engines (mowers chainsaws weed eaters ect)with stabill and never have any problem in the spring and summer with them. May be a little more costly on one end but saves on the other. Now not saying that I don't use it altogether. I burn what ever is the cheapest in the old ford pickup truck. It loves what ever I can afford to put in it. It just don't stay in it very long.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This area of the country has been on it for over 15 years now. I use a good water separator in the boat along with Sea Foam in all my motors and have had only 1 problem that may or may not be caused by ethanol.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just my 2 cents, but I always add Marvel Mystery Oil to my fuel and have never had a problem in chain saws, mowers, or anything else gasoline fueled.
    I also use an additive in my diesel fuel in the truck and never had any problems.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure it's helping the farmers and the small engine repair people. I really can't tell if it runs any better Or worse. I know it will mess up your carbs if you let it get old

Post Thanks / Like

Raises cost at pumps. Gets less miles per gallon. It has ruined many fuel lines and small motors. It voids many warranties also.
    Likes scrat, Jerkey Log, DesertBerry, Bronson LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Most small engine mechanics will tell you that ethanol in gasoline is not a good thing, due to the residue build-up creating carb problems. However, that can usually be alleviated with the use a good fuel additive, of which there are many on the market today. Personally, I use Star Tron in all gas used in my small engines and outboards. Haven't had any problems for many years.

The real "negative", if you want to look at the big picture, is from the farmering end. Way too much corn is being used to make this additive (which really doesn't appreciably yield any benefits to gasoline, environmentally or otherwise). That keeps food prices up and availability down. Farmers are paid more to produce the crop for ethanol, than for the benefit of the consumer. You can juggle and jiggle the stats to create support for most points of view, but I just don't see anything positive about it. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes scrat, Buckie02, DesertBerry, RetiredRR, Bronson LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Im a cattle farmer in Arkansas we use to buy our corn based feed for about 7 dollars a hundred pounds now its 7 dollars for 40 or 50 pound bag. The biggest reason is useing corn to make gas.Every kind of meat you buy has went up because of it.I don't blame the corn farmer he's in it to make a living. It seams wrong to waste food to make fuel.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ethanol is for drunks.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes crappielimits, midcarolina LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I AM POSTIVE THAT IT IS NEGATIVE
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes DesertBerry LIKED above post

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast