Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Basic Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Basic Tips

I am fairly new to sac a lait fishing, Ill go out and most fish for bass and bream. Every so often I will catch a sac and double back, change jigs and be able to catch atleast one more keeper and sometimes two or three if I am lucky. I fish out of a kayak and dont have a depth finder or trolling motor (none of this I am worried about) but I would like to see if anyone has some basic pointers as to what can look for other than downed limbs, stumps, or tree tops sticking out of the water.

I have found that if I am not getting my lure hung up in the brush then I am not trying hard enough, they seem to like the thickest cover. I normally Just throw basic jigs (white and blue, beetle spins, and occasionally a pink jig). I havent been to productive off the grass beds where I see most people catching. Any simple tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

You are pretty well doing all the right things fishing around fish habitat like stumps limbs and thick cover. Crappie (sac a lait) will all do about the same things that the others are doing at the time. That is if they are hanging close to cover most all of them in the lake seem to be doing the same . The depth is something else that they will do the same. A lot of the time if you know about what depth they are in they will all be about the same depth through out the whole lake at that time. You don't have to have trolling motors or sonar it just helps locate fish it doesn't make them bite. I would say if you are catching two or three you are still doing good. Sometimes the wife and me go and don't catch that many. I think that is why they call it fishing and not catching. I am sure others here will be able to tell you more. You have come to a good place to ask questions and learn. Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may be casting . Ever try long jig poles and verticle presentation tight in the cover ?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes dfar, scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I am casting about 90% of the time, when I come back around to a spot i have caught fish before I will jig for a few minutes if one doesnt bite a beetle spin. both my ultra light rods are less than 7' so I am floating right next to or over the cover at that point.
    I have a 9' telescopic cane pole my father gave me. I could pull that out and give more vertical jigging next couple of trips.

Post Thanks / Like

When I fish grass I like a 1/32 jig head if they are in the grass I fish it slow enough to just stay out of the grass. Some times they will be on the edge of the grass then I will use the same 1/32 to start with if there deeper I might go to a 1/16 hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Only thing I would add is to be careful of the noise you make. Especially when you are so close to the cover they are in. Just my two cents
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along