Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XMAS Pine Trees???

Post Thanks / Like

Default XMAS Pine Trees???

Hi,

We got our hands on some free pine trees....I know they aren't the best thing in the world for crappie cover...But, they are free...I have heard that you need to get the pines off the tree before you drop them in the water...I also have heard that the fish don't like the scent or whatever comes off the pines...Does anyone have any tips to get them ready for cover?....I also have heard you need to cut sections out of the tree to create some room..Would appreciate any tips or advise...We are big on the bamboo cover but the trees are free..So, we figured we would take advantage of it..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on doing the same here real soon, let it dry, burn off the needles, thin out the limbs and sink um, I plane on sinking them in rows of 5 on long points spread out 5 to 10 feet apart

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

We have about eight now...We might be able to get some more?...Depending if any is left?.....Yeah, I was planning on dropping four or so in one area....We are big on the bamboo because it does last longer...But, we got the trees free...So, really can't beat that..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 12-24-2006 at 05:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieday has the right idea. Thin first then burn, also anchor them in 5 gal buckets then sink. Sink them on a steep drop 20 feet or so will do fine ( ill get to the reason for this in a few) When the trees are long gone the fish will see the buckets as stumps. after the trees are sunk head directly to the bank stop in 6 to 8 feet of water and make a stake bed. the fish will almost all ways be in the stake bed................ except when a storm is brewin then they will more than likely head to your artifical stump bed, after the storm they will return to their home in the stake bed.

Stink
    Last edited by stinkies daddy; 12-24-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

If You Use Cedar Trees, Burning Is A Good Idea, But Fir Christmas
    Trees Don't Need To Be. Downside Is They Will Only Last A Year
    And Then Be Waterlogged, With All The Branches Broke Off.
    Even Though They Are Free, I Would Put My Effort Into Something
    That Is Gonna Last A While, Bamboo Or Other Stuff.
    Just A Thought.
    John B.

Post Thanks / Like

I leave them whole and just take a cinder block and shove as much tree as I can through the block, toss the whole thing in. The trees usually lay on their sides, but I stack up two of three together and they work great.
    Moderator of Fishin Fanatics - National Fishing Forum
    http://fishinfanatics.com/forums/index.php?

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

amen on a couple years i put out about 150 a year they dont last alos put out about 50 pvc a year
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I experimented with pine christmas trees and to me they aint worth messing with,i burned the needles off and there really was'nt nothing left of em afterwards.If i use trees its always oak with large open limbs they are easier to fish and bigger fish seems to like bigger structure and if i use pvc i would go with J and J habitat those folks make some high quality products and their prices are great for what you get.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have fished my Xmas tree piles for 3 yrs they were still there still producing

Todays work-40 trees
    Last edited by horseshoer; 01-06-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've collected a few this week too and I'm gonna try my luck with them...Gonna use a cinder block and tie a couple of 2 liter bottles to the top of tree to keep it upright.....One reason I'm goin this way is because I can't get ahold of any free pvc and the trees are free...............Not gonna burn or cut it out.........The xmas trees have produced years of crappie fishing in Lake Norman and still producing..................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast