Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tandem Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tandem Jigs

Do you make your own crappie rigs with a 3way swivel or can you buy them already made. I usually position one jig about 18 inches above the lower one with a sinker to keep them down. How does everyone else do it?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trade secret

I use this rig in cold water . I use a walleye bullet on bottom and put a minnow on the bottom hook. This is the only time I hook a minnow thru the lips.

The lengths aren't that critical (whatever it ends up at after I tie the rig). The reason for 14 # test line is that I have a lifetime supply of it. The heavier line also serves to keep the top hook from tangling around the bottom hook line. Stiff is good here. I would not go any smaller than #12 line to the hooks. Below #12, the lines tend to tangle (twist) together. I tie the hangman's knot. It is a good knot. Besides, I learned how to tie this knot in the Boy Scouts. It is my favorite knot and is great for stringing things up. ha

I tie several of these rigs up before hitting the water. No doubt, I'm gonna lose some.

Now you guys know why I use the big bullet.

Big bait, big fish.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 01-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

This rig works better with a true 90 degree swivel that is found a bass pro. It is a salt water swivel. I use 10lb all the way, even on my poles and rigs. P-line flurocarbon line is the best line on the market. If you don't believe me try it. You can make your drops any depths that you are fishing. For instance if you are fishing deep make them about 2-3 ft apart or for shallow water put them about 12-18 inches. I make these rigs to use minnows only.

Post Thanks / Like

Default more

I usually get all my terminal tackle locally. Sometimes wal mart don't have the 3ways, so I rig a two way. I used to get my stuff at bps, but since they started tacking sales tax and bigger shipping, ain't worth small orders price. I'm not an expert here, I am just sharing what I do and I know it works pretty good. You can rig about anything and if the fishes are hungry, the will get it.
    I usually stow these rigs in small zip lock bags to keep them from tangling up.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 01-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to give this some thought and try some variety of it this coming season. I see a better hot weather summer bite coming on!
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Default cane pole......

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I usually get all my terminal tackle locally. Sometimes wal mart don't have the 3ways, so I rig a two way. I used to get my stuff at bps, but since they started tacking sales tax and bigger shipping, ain't worth small orders price. I'm not an expert here, I am just sharing what I do and I know it works pretty good. You can rig about anything and if the fishes are hungry, the will get it.
    I usually stow these rigs in small zip lock bags to keep them from tangling up.
    on your tandem hook set up which hook does better...top or bottom ???? p.s..if thats mr bill on the top left of your posts please be carefull of crossing the street with him.....he does not do well in traffic......

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Cane Pole

Well as usual I learned something today from [crappie.com] this time from the famous CP ---
    I could,nt remember why I was saving the small zip-lock bags [ha]--now if I can just get my 2-jig rigs un-tangled
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ak-moose
    on your tandem hook set up which hook does better...top or bottom ???? p.s..if thats mr bill on the top left of your posts please be carefull of crossing the street with him.....he does not do well in traffic......
    OOOOH NOOOO.... Mr Bill....It was funny.....

I don't remember which caught what Doug. The rig works pretty good. I am sure there are a zillion ways to rig these things. Cheap to make. Cost bout a quarter to make. Lots cheaper than buying those ready made Ky Lake rigs at 1-2 bucks a set. Building these rigs gives me something to do when I ain't got nothing else to do. I don't know if anyone can buy the bullet jig heads with the #2 hook or not. These are home grown jigs (by a friend). I don't know crap about pouring jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    Well as usual I learned something today from [crappie.com] this time from the famous CP ---
    I could,nt remember why I was saving the small zip-lock bags [ha]--now if I can just get my 2-jig rigs un-tangled
    This baggie thing was my wifes idea Frank. She got tired of me b***hing about the tangled mess of rigs, so she sorted them out, stuffed them in baggies, and the rest is history.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-29-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by possumcop
    This rig works better with a true 90 degree swivel that is found a bass pro. It is a salt water swivel. I use 10lb all the way, even on my poles and rigs. P-line flurocarbon line is the best line on the market. If you don't believe me try it. You can make your drops any depths that you are fishing. For instance if you are fishing deep make them about 2-3 ft apart or for shallow water put them about 12-18 inches. I make these rigs to use minnows only.
    I super glued a couple of these 3 ways I have and made them rigid. I can see the benefit of solid 3 way connections. What size do you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast