Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead pot

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lead pot

Looks like I'm going to have to get a bottom feeder for pouring small jigs. My old pot I have worked great for pouring larger salt water sinkers but I'm not having much luck with these little ones. I'm heating the mold up quite a bit but I think what little slag that I can't keep out is causing the problems. What do you use?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The bottom pour furnaces are the trick for the smaller jigs. I had the exact same problem when I started pouring my own.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

bottom pour is they way to go, make sure that when you heat the mold the hooks are not cold, the small passage in the smaller molds will not pour correctly
    if the hooks are cold, also on smaller jigs turn you heat up to at least 7 and place mold right under the spout and give it a quick bump of the handle

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN; Here's what I use. I pour 1/32 and 1/16 oz and it does great. I have poured 1/64oz and didn't have any problem. It's the 10 lb production pot from barlows tackle. Couldn't find the price on their website, but the janns netcraft catalog has it for $49.95. I personally think it's worth every penny. I used a plain cast iron pot and ladle at first and it doesn't even come close.

Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

same one I have,love it!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a trip to BPS for me. They have the same pot for $59 so by time I paid for shipping it would be about the same. Thanks for the quick responses.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The Lee 10# production is the one I use also and I put the mold on top to heat it up while the lead is heating up and on the do-it molds I pour lead on the side of it also to pre warm the mold and put the lead back when its cooled. A hot mold seems to work better for the small jigs. Just rember to let go of the handle it pours fast and clean great for production molds or the single pours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    but I think what little slag that I can't keep out is causing the problems. What do you use?
    when I use wheel weights,I flux quite often with bees wax a and pull the dross out, I also scoup some of the tin and antimony out this way, as it floats to the top when it approaches 800 degress F. This in turn lowers the melting point as the lead gets purer, and aids in pouring.

I find I have more of a problem with pure lead than with lead/tin mixture.

I have the little lee production pot, but I have more luck with a ladle and a cast Iron pot, but I contribute that to the fact the the bottom of my lee pot leaks somewhat at the valve.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

A friend told me I neede to use plumers lead which is softer. I had trouble with the head not pouring in the mold correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

You can turn out a couple hundred heads in an evening using high purity lead and a Lee production pot. I pour from 1/32 ounce heads to 3 ounce sinkers with no problems.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast