Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running motor in winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Running motor in winter?

Do you pull the boat out and run the motor in the winter just to keep it in good shape? I am trying to get it out on weekends even if I can't get to the lake.
    I know many of you are snowed in and can't.
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

No. Put Stabil in fuel and turn on the battery maintainer.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends. If you are using your motor through out the winter then by all means run it as much as you can. Make sure to add stabil or sea foam to your fuel. If you have winterized your motor and fogged it as you should once you put it up for the season then running it is kind of pointless as you would just have to re fog the motor. If you add seafoam or stabil to your fuel them you shouldn't need to start it as your carbs won't gum up in just a few months.

Post Thanks / Like

How big a motor? Can you disconnect the gas line easily and run it dry? I couldn't do it the way my old boat was setup, but that is what they told me to do with my new 20HP Yamaha. After you run it make sure the engine is tilted all the way down so all water drains, if it freezes in your area!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Stabil / sea foam but mines a garage queen , now the Jon boat that sits outside all yr, I run it dry drain the carb bowls, then flush with sea foam. Put the bowl screws back in and pump sea foam in until the bulb gets firm . Been working for me for yrs, Oh I drain the lower unit too and tag it so I don't forget to refill it in the spring. I like to change it every year anyway .
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them
    Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Gobob, its the best to drain the lower but you also want to refill it after draining. Your seals will dry up with out the lube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brushnjigs View Post
    Gobob, its the best to drain the lower but you also want to refill it after draining. Your seals will dry up with out the lube
    Plus all the gears an everything inside will rust the next day. Quit being a Gewber,Gewber.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

10-4 on that it'll wait now to dang cold bee like pouring frozen honey lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    How big a motor? Can you disconnect the gas line easily and run it dry? I couldn't do it the way my old boat was setup, but that is what they told me to do with my new 20HP Yamaha. After you run it make sure the engine is tilted all the way down so all water drains, if it freezes in your area!!!
    definately dont run it out of gas,on a 2 stroke the only oil the main bearing get is from whats in the gas

Post Thanks / Like

50 hp 4 stroke, I can disconnect from main tank and run a strong mix of sea foam and gas in a 3 gal can ,which is why I bought it.
    but I get some chances to fish all winter in sc, so I just try and keep it going weekly
    G3PO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast