Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dumb Question maybe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dumb Question maybe

I was wondering if corn would attract crappie. We have fields of corn left over that they use for duck hunting when the rains come. I was just wondering if you stuck some ears of this corn in a mesh sack and sunk it, would this attract baitfish as the corn started to rot. Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    I was wondering if corn would attract crappie. We have fields of corn left over that they use for duck hunting when the rains come. I was just wondering if you stuck some ears of this corn in a mesh sack and sunk it, would this attract baitfish as the corn started to rot. Anyone know?

I have found that corn will attract bluegills, perch, trout, kokanne and catfish so it would probably work on crappies too. when you do it though you have to use just the kernels and drop them when you are fishing. But the best attractent would be oat meal, when night fishing with lights or lanterns occasionaly drop a few hand fulls of oat meal in the water. The oat meals falls slowly and reflects light extreamly well and has worked well for me. As for it attracting bait fish when it decomposed I'm not sure it might but all it is, is decomposing vegitable matter such as millfoil, elodia, and other aquatic plants.
    Last edited by Kokanee King; 12-30-2004 at 04:32 AM.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I never tried corn out of a field for chum, but carp like corn out of a can.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I never tried corn out of a field for chum, but carp like corn out of a can.
    No! carp love can out of a the can. thoes freshwater bonefish.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

howdy;

just remember to put it where thier is current. back home we had one of those mills that made the paper clothing back in the 70's. it was the source of current for the pond that ran behind the local library. well, they shut the mill down for 2 weeks once and all the ducks in the pond drowned. they finally figured out that the corn that alot of the people were throwing to feed the ducks had hit bottom sat there and FERMENTED. when the ducks ate the fermented corn they got a little bit sleepy and couldn't hold their heads up and drowned as a result. yea, corn is natural, it does rot, but it ferments first.
    food for thought. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Drowning drunk ducks, hmmmmm.....

Post Thanks / Like

Try Cottonseed meal in a old nylon pantyhose.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead