Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help with an idea for St. Jude kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with an idea for St. Jude kids

I had a thought for the kids at St. Jude. I thought it would be a good idea for some of us crappie fisherman in the Mid-South area to get together and take some of these kids fishing. I have 4 healthy kids and I could not imagine if one of them were sick and at St. Jude. I would be willing to donate some of my time and money to make one of these kids wish come true if it were to go fishing. I know these parents have to stay in Memphis for months at a time. What I am asking is would some of you be willing to do the same. I am sure that the parents and kids would be forever grateful to us. I am afraid that I may need some help with this project. If any of you fisherman have sponsers that would be interested in donating maybe some poles or shirts or whatever they could. I am sure that we would get alot of good out of this too.

Post Thanks / Like

found the thread and I am sorry I missed it, I would be glad to send spoons, jigs , and plastics to help out the kids and there families try and forget the tough times they are going through
    Last edited by guest01; 01-03-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy to take some St Jude kids fishing if it could be arranged.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

if you ever get any of em to sc, ill be glad to take one or two of em fishing IF theres an adult willing to accept the responsibility for them while in my boat. taking someone elses kids (sick or well) out in a boat is a huge responsibility that im not willing to accept without a parent or guardian along to see to em.. you seem bothered in another post that nobody responded to your plea for help with this project. well thats my story and im sticking to it
    Last edited by rango; 01-04-2007 at 06:06 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default liability

I am also worried about the liability and would rather not be responsible without another adult along in my fishing boat. But, I have a pontoon that is rated for 16 people. I would love to take a bunch of these kids out during warmer weather for a day of sight seeing and maybe fishing. My grand kids love to take a cruise to a sand bar and grill out on the Arkansas River. I don't know a lot about the Memphis area for activity such as this.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

you really want to help st. judes...buy one of their 100.00 dollar raffle tickets for a dream home...they have them all over the country and have some really great prizes donated including a house...feel guilty about winning?....donate the prize back to them...or just send them money...in all my years of dealing with st.judes and the mda i have found that they need money more than anything....and all that money goes to good use unlike some other charities....your idea would be a good one if you can pull it off but quiet frankly i cant see a bunch of folks having the time or resources to do it..

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to set up a trip for some of the kids on a private lake here in Missouri. I could get some sponsors to set up a picnic and help with the tackle. E-Mail me. This would take some time and planning to set up, for a place for them to stay, any special needs they have, and screening of the participants. I think about 6 kids along with parents is all I could handle. This would be bank or dock fishing no on lake fishing. Lots of Crappie, Perch, Bass, Catfish, could be caught for all, and fish fry at the end of the day. No permits would be required.
    I am located about 350 miles from Memphis. I have done events like this in the past and the logistic's are a lot to handle. But I will be willing to HELP with what I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some of us will do what we can.

August 11 1977, my little sister died at St Judes at the age of 8. She had been sick for 2 1/2 years. I was 17 at the time and was there for the last week of her life. I'm 47 now and cannot watch the funding programs they put on TV without having to run outside so my family can't see me break down. I give to St Judes whenever I can, but usually it goes straight to them, cause I don't trust middle people and want to make sure that my money goes exactly where it's needed. I don't live close enough to Memphis to offer to take one of these kids, but I couldn't anyway cause it would be too hard on me and the kids would easily pick up on the fact that I was uncomfortable with them (by not only the tears, but also by me not being able to look them in the eyes.) Writing this is very hard for me even right now while I'm home alone and 30 years older.

I said all this to say that if you want to get some of the locals together, contact St Judes, or some of the affected families, I would send as much money TO YOU as I could for gas, bait, poles, or whatever you needed, as long as you share that with us in stories and pics of them. Can't say that I can give hundreds or even enough to supply you on a couple of trips, but I would send what I could.
    Thanks for the thought!
    Skipper Skains-big brother to Debra Lynn Skains "Debbie"
    4/29/1969 ------ 8/11/1977
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns