Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Needing Some Help Guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Prayer Request Needing Some Help Guys!

Got a question for everyone here, wanting to tap into some knowledge.... I have noticed that my wheels are throwing out alittle grease on the inside of both my wheels, so I am wanting to get my bearings, seals and races changed out on both left and right sides.

Called around for a couple of quotes, and here is what I am getting.. Shop labor is running $75-85 per hour, plus bearing kits between $15-25 per kit, and grease.. Advised that it usually runs around 2 - 2 1/2 hours to do both sides.. So I am looking at close to $230 for the bearing change, and thats not including balancing them back out..

Any suggestions on shops that might do it alittle cheaper around Knoxville, TN?

I have thought about trying to do it myself, but am worried I will screw it up..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a difficult job to do yourself......a little messy but not anything that someone with reasonable handy skills can do themselves.

Here is a video one of many found on youtube about this subject.......If you take it on yourself we are all here to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMX3m-uZcr8
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Post Thanks / Like

It really is not that hard a job, I did a set a few years back and I am not a mechanic by any stretch. Hardest part for me was removing the races which are pressed into the hubs. If they are not scored you don't need to replace them, but I waited too long and mine were bad. An alternative is to buy the whole hub assembly from someone like Northern Hydraulics. Even that would be cheaper in most cases than what you were quoted I think.
    Been several years since I did mine so someone with more current experience chime in here.
    Here is one from etrailer just for example. With this you just swap out the whole thing.

Trailer Hub Assembly - 5,200-lb and 6000-lb Axles - 6 on 5-1/2 - E-Z Lube Dexter Trailer Hubs and Drums 8-213-5UC1-EZ
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

have someone look at them first...may have blown the seals, but might not need to be replaced yet. Clean the grease off the inner portions of the wheels and see if they continue to throw grease to determine 'how bad' it is. Your setup looks like mine. I add grease to my zerks each season, it forces grease to displace old grease. The old grease is supposed to exit through relief holes in the front holes. If those are clogged it leaves through any weak area, mostly via the rear seal, which causes the grease being thrown on the inner wheels. I am not an expert on this, but just had this explained to me by my mechanic this past week when I had mine replaced. It cost me a $100 but was having other work done already so I had them do it. I haven't changed mine for at least 15 years. Lesson learned...apply greasy sparingly to save your rear seals.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray is correct you can either order the complete hub assemblies from etrailer.........or If you have a Northern tool and supply near you, you can get the entire hub assembly,

The 4 lug hub assembly runs around 40 bucks.......and the ones from northern come in a nice container so you can put one of the old hubs in the case throw it in the toolbox and have it as a spare........
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it yourself...if you're afraid you can't do it--buy two hub kits from etrailer or northern tool. Then, pick up a set for one side (about $15, I think) and practice repacking it for use as a spare. You'll be set.

Post Thanks / Like

They don't balance trailer tires. Found that out when I put new treads on the fifth wheel I suppose you could if you wanted
    It's easy to replace repack bearings been doing it since I was a kid now my boy does it for me