Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baitcasters VS Spinning Reels for Spider Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baitcasters VS Spinning Reels for Spider Rigging

Next rigging question, do you prefer baitcasters or spinning reels for your trolling rods and why?
    Likes Brush Buster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever reel you choose- its just for storing line. If you use spinning reals you can also cast and longline. Jmo. Good luck.

"I just can't fish with one pole anymore"
    Black Fish Crappie Charters
    www.blackdoghuntingclub.com

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbar Baitcasters.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes warbird, "G", yikess, Speck LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the small "baitcast" reels they take up about an inch of line per turn. A spinning reel will take up much more per turn so if you need to reel in line it is much faster. They also store more line so if you need to play a fish (you don't always hook crappie) you are good for that.
    That's mainly the difference.
    Otherwise, as noted above, they just store line and you simply lift fish into the boat/net.
    I'll smoke just about anything (in my smoker)
    The fishing is always great. The catching varies.
    Likes long poler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both and really like the spinning reels.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Grizzly jig baitcasters on mine and like them. One big advantage of the baitcasters is you can grab all of the lines at once and pull-up if you run shallow or need to go over a tree. The Grizzly baitcasters have gears so you can reel fast if needed. Like blackfish and mike said they just hold the line.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Either way get one with a good drag system. Having a drag that can be set just light enough to pull line off the spool by hand is key for me. I fish shallow most of the time. So having 3-8 ft of line out on a 14 or 16 ft rod can be an issue if you can not quickly pull some extra lineout to get the fish back to the net. Other than that like others have said they just hold line. Spinning reels will also be less expensive. I have a set of Quantum Optix that run $19.99 on a set of rods. I also have a set of Daiwa Strikeforce on my 14' rods. They run $13.99.

Post Thanks / Like

i like the Thumbar Baitcasters with long poles shallow water its easey to let line out when fish is in dip net with one hand. i guess with most mo. fish you can just swing in the boat unless you go to truman and catch 3#r lol
    kost plus crappie team
    Likes Jerkey Log LIKED above post

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya and the guy who caught that 3 lb'er netted it with a bait net. We try to net a lot of fish just to stay in practice for when we go to the real land of giants. Warbird do you leave the drag loose on yours or push the thumb bar to release the line? I have been keeping an eye out on Ebay for a cheap set of bait caster's for long lining.

Post Thanks / Like

Baitcasters spider rigging hands down for me , spinning reels longling and cranking.
    Twice this weekend at Washington a fish got tangled in another line, just puched the button on the rod that did not have the fish on it leaving that rod in the rack and netted the fish, just much easier for me.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast