Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new trolling motor (with ipilot)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of a new trolling motor (with ipilot)

Like the title says, wanting to get a new trolling motor for my Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW. More than likely won't get it till next winter but really liking the Minnkota Terrova with the Ipilot but not real familiar with what all is involved as far as what you have to have. The guide we had at Ky Lake has it and has the routes already lined out so he only used the remote to go around a boat that was in the route and really like that setup but what all is involved? I know you have to have a humminbird that's capable of linking up to ipilot. Also, what pound thrust do you recommend for a PT 175? I'm wanting to step up to a 24v motor so leaning towards the 80lb thrust. Currently just got the 12v 45lb thrust edge that came on the boat from the factory. We just set the boat up to spider rig and noticed last night the cable interferes a bit with the right rod holder as you let the motor down. Planning on keeping this boat in for the future just for crappie fishing and getting a fiberglass later on for bass fishing so not worried about spending some money on this boat. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Like I said, it probably won't be upgraded till next winter so I can save up some money after spending quite a bit for setting it up to spider rig. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 12 volt Terrova I-Pilot. I do not have it linked to my DFs. You gonna have 40 people tell you to get the 24 volt and if you were going to concert to 24 volt anyway, then get the 24, but the 12 volt is more than adequate to handle the Tracker. I have the 16.5 Pro Team Tracker. First thing I noticed was the 55# thrust Terrova seemed twice as powerful as the 45# cable steer MG that came on the boat. I seldom run at more than 1/3 max speed. Only time I hit max speed is if I am moving from one brush pile to another. I can tight line for hours without depleting the battery. I don't long line much so I don't know how it would hold up running a 1+ MPH but I know it would be several hours.
    One thing I would strongly recommend is getting the MK quick release mounting plate for it (about $80 for mine). First it makes installation a snap and it allows you to quickly remove the motor, like about 10 seconds. I cover my boat and these type motors have to protrude over the front of the boat, so I pull mine into the boat before I but the on cover.
    Also, you can take it off and lock in your car or take in the room if you are staying at a hotel or cabin and want to be able to sleep at night. It has the capability of putting a small lock on it which would deter a quick snatch and run, but a bolt cutter and it would be gone in a minute. Cost too much to tempt a thief so I lock it out of site in my car if I am away from home.
    I got the Terrova because the deploy and stow feature works really well, but also because I could not convince myself I would not want a foot pedal. I tried the pedal to see if it worked, put it in a storage bag and have yet to take it out. The hand held remote, which I wear around my neck, is just too easy and simple to not use.
    This unit is by far the most usable item I have ever had on a boat. You will love it.
    One more suggestion: Talk with Brian at BBG Marine, one of our sponsors. He will meet or beat most all big box store prices and know his product so he can keep you from buying the wrong item.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    I have the 12 volt Terrova I-Pilot. I do not have it linked to my DFs. You gonna have 40 people tell you to get the 24 volt and if you were going to concert to 24 volt anyway, then get the 24, but the 12 volt is more than adequate to handle the Tracker. I have the 16.5 Pro Team Tracker. First thing I noticed was the 55# thrust Terrova seemed twice as powerful as the 45# cable steer MG that came on the boat. I seldom run at more than 1/3 max speed. Only time I hit max speed is if I am moving from one brush pile to another. I can tight line for hours without depleting the battery. I don't long line much so I don't know how it would hold up running a 1+ MPH but I know it would be several hours.
    One thing I would strongly recommend is getting the MK quick release mounting plate for it (about $80 for mine). First it makes installation a snap and it allows you to quickly remove the motor, like about 10 seconds. I cover my boat and these type motors have to protrude over the front of the boat, so I pull mine into the boat before I but the on cover.
    Also, you can take it off and lock in your car or take in the room if you are staying at a hotel or cabin and want to be able to sleep at night. It has the capability of putting a small lock on it which would deter a quick snatch and run, but a bolt cutter and it would be gone in a minute. Cost too much to tempt a thief so I lock it out of site in my car if I am away from home.
    I got the Terrova because the deploy and stow feature works really well, but also because I could not convince myself I would not want a foot pedal. I tried the pedal to see if it worked, put it in a storage bag and have yet to take it out. The hand held remote, which I wear around my neck, is just too easy and simple to not use.
    This unit is by far the most usable item I have ever had on a boat. You will love it.
    One more suggestion: Talk with Brian at BBG Marine, one of our sponsors. He will meet or beat most all big box store prices and know his product so he can keep you from buying the wrong item.
    Thanks very much for the reply. I'm planning on rigging the boat up to 24 volts since it seems like adding my new depth finder up front really drains the battery according to the on board charger. Maybe just the colder weather making it seem like it's using more juice. Running a HB 597 up front and a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI at the console. May eventually get a bigger one for the back when I get the new trolling motor. Hopefully by the time I go to buy a new one, there'll be better reviews of that new one they just came out with. Thanks again SeaRay

Post Thanks / Like

I would not have thought the DFs would drain much off your battery. I leave both of mine on all day and they have no noticeable affect on my starting battery.
    Of course, the TM needs to be on it's own battery, it will interfere with a DF and mess up the screen image. I found out the hard way when I tried to run my front DF off the TM battery.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    I would not have thought the DFs would drain much off your battery. I leave both of mine on all day and they have no noticeable affect on my starting battery.
    Of course, the TM needs to be on it's own battery, it will interfere with a DF and mess up the screen image. I found out the hard way when I tried to run my front DF off the TM battery.
    Yeah. I have a feeling it's just the onboard charger acting up alittle just bc of the colder temps. Installed the HB in December and fished several times with it for just a few hours each time and when I plug the batteries up to charge, normally on that type of outing both green and red light shines but since the new DF was added, it just has the red light light. Normally the red light only comes up by itself when you fish nearly all day. I'm thinking just the cold temps unless the wire that ran up front is too small for the HB. I was running the cheap lowrance that came with the boat up front but the HB is acting right so I don't the the wire is a issue.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are going to use the motor to follow contours with the link you won't have to worry about hooking to bird. The link setup requires you to use the Lakemaster card. Need to check and make sure it covers the lakes and areas you fish. The 80 will do more than you need unless pulling cranks all day. Should be able to get 6-8 hrs out of group 29-31 batteries with no problem. Like SeaRay I run the 55 on 2 group 27's and can run all day doing anything but pulling cranks. About 5 hrs is all I can get. But I can't get the 29/31 in the back of my boat and no place to put them up front.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I also run the 12 volt 55lb thrust on my 175. I have a HB 859 DI up front running the whole time. I have spider rigged all day long and have never had my day cut short due to loss of power. I do not have mine linked to depth finder, that is an upgrade that just came out and most of the places I fish are not on the SD cards anyway. I love the spot lock feature, for when I need to do anything that takes my attention away from boat control. I run both the Terrova and Humminbird on the same battery with no inference issues, my depth finder power cord has a built in noise filter. I know the 55lb is enough but the 80lb could only be better, RIGHT. Good Luck.
    If you dont have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time time to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you look into the motor guide xi5 pinpoint, it is tighter on the spot lock and has a lot more and better features. I just ordered one and have fished with both, hands down a better unit.

Post Thanks / Like

I just upgraded to a 24v 80# w/t Pinpoint Xi5 on My 04' Bass Tracker 175 (Same boat), replaced the stock Guest 2 bank batt. charger with the smallest 3 bank I could find and mounted it in the same place as the oem charger, cant recall the type right now (Crs) but I saw them on sale at BPS last week for $100 which is less than I payed online. Also added another $100 deep cycle batt and had to rearrange the battery trays and use longer batt cables, You can plan on adding at least another $200 to the cost of a 24v troller, but I fish 95% on My batteries.
    I have My T bar bracket dead center of the bow, and My MotoGuide clears it, although I did have to mount the new troller at a different angle and location then the Oem 43# 12v troller, I actually moved the bow light to one of the holes left behind form the old trolling motor, all and all it worked out pretty good although its hard to start drilling holes in the bow of the boat. I have install pix on another thread if You want to see what Your up against.
    Last edited by Tom 513; 02-15-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the Ulterra! Not having to run up to the front and drop the motor while watching your main console FF is worth the extra $! Seriously, there is not a Terrova owner that would trade it for an Ulterra (Self Deploying Terrova)!
    ***There has to be a fish somewhere needing to be caught!***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast