Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preferences for mounting horizontal rod racks

Post Thanks / Like

Default preferences for mounting horizontal rod racks

I'm mounting the offset driftmaster horizontal rod storage racks in my boat and am wondering which side should I use? Are there any hard and fast do's and don'ts here or just personal preference? Trying not to over-think this. Open to advice from those 'crappie fishers wiser-than- I'.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they going to stick out over the side? If so consider any obstructions you might hit when trailering. Narrow roads, brush and mailboxes on passenger side. If mounting toward the inside are they going to obstruct opening lids, steering console things like that. If you will be using every pole you carry in them when fishing you can just loosen the lock nut and turn and lock to clear obstructions.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I too am getting ready to mount a set of home engineered racks into my 2001Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk. One of my questions is how far apart to mount them so as to accomodiate 10' down to 6' rods. I have not settled on the height until the deep freeze is gone and I can spend some time at the boat doing some measuring.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to mount mine on the driver's (left) side since I enter/exit and approach docks on the right side. I had steel stanchions with 4 inch bases made at a machine shop to mount each rod holder in. I didn't like the driftmaster aluminum threaded bases that were recommended. I'm thinking the threaded aluminum will likely become sloppy over time. To close the gap between the long rod span, I added a third rod holder midway between the first two. This way I get good support for long rods as well as a means to carry my 6-7 ft. rods. I'm stoked to get these things painted and installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Post some pics please Sir. Would like to see your set up.
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Post Thanks / Like

ok will do gobob...didn't you put some holders in your boat in the recent past? thought I read a post about it...? Waiting on a few more pieces yet, then will try my hand at posting a pic, if I can figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Horizontal rod holders: final installation

So here's my installation pics. One of my winter projects finally completed. Pretty happy with them. I had the stanchions fabricated at a local machine shop; the rod holders are from Driftmaster. I used three to better support long rods and to have a means to transport my shorter rods. So tired of my rods being propped or lying on the boat deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are nice. Good job.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast