Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about driving a boat at top speed/trim and torque?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about driving a boat at top speed/trim and torque?

I've had a 2003 ranger reata for 2 years and because of wind and other factors have had very limited chances to open it up. Today the water was glass and I got to really get on it. I noticed after I got it going and when I started trimming the motor up that it started pulling (pushing?) to the side pretty hard and quick, not hard to control at all just had to hold the wheel and turn against it a bit. Just making sure this is normal?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to adjust the trim tab just a little.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. That's what I would suggest. Turns left, turn the tab right. Reverse, the other way.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Your trim tab is most likely out of the water at WOT and will have little or no effect on steering. A torque tab attached to the skeg may help.

There are many other factors to consider such as trim position, motor height, prop.

Do you have cable or hydraulic steering.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with speckfinder. Mine is easy to drive til the rooster tail gets up close to or over the top of the outboard, and you better have a firm hold then. It's advised by those smarter than me that the rooster tail doesn't need to be higher than the top of the outboard. You'll also find that you will get your fastest speed on water with a chop, I like about wind about 10mph. Nose into the wind, hammer down and trim and the wind help to lift the boat out of the water and the chop puts air under the hull, breaking the suction of the water and allowing more speed. The torque tab that attaches to the lower unit helps to negate the twist or pull to the right. If you don't wear your boogie shoes very often it's not really needed but isn't a bad addition. No feedback hydraulic steering is supposed to take the feel of this out of the wheel but never having had that I can't really say. I'm interested in the responses you get in this, I'd like to make mine a bit more manageable.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    Yep. That's what I would suggest. Turns left, turn the tab right. Reverse, the other way.
    I think that is backwards. Turns left move tab left.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

The prop can have a pretty big influence on torque feedback also........If I run the 4 flade prop the feedback is really bad, if I run the 3 blade stainless there is almost no feedback........
    Even different 3 blade props of the same pitch will have different feedback
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Post Thanks / Like

It's really not that bad just enough that I need to be sure I have the wheel. Just making sure it wasn't something major. Not sure it's enough for me to go chasing it with the trim tab adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought you would have hydraulic steering on an 2003. Shouldn't feel very much pull with hydraulic steering. How is your weight balanced in the boat? I agree on checking tabs and prop.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Adjusting the trim tab is very simple and a common fix for pulling. Loosen the 1 bolt. If it is pulling to port move the back of the tab to port about 1/8 inch. If pulling to starboard move it to starboard. You may have to repeat until you have no pull.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast