Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rigging from the back

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging from the back

Do yall rig out of the front and back? If so, how well does the back fisherman do? Wouldn't mind trying it out this spring. Got 14s for the front and can use my long lining 10 footers out the back
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Always best to fish two up front, if you can. I put guys in the back if I have more than two. Guys up front generally get most of the bites, but still catch a bunch in back. For the record....my guys in the back of the boat aren't fishing directly out back, but off either side.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes EARL KITCHENS LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My partners, that fish in my boat, fish off the sides and fan their rods out to cover as wide an area as possible.

Example : my fishing buddy, Carl -

Name:  DSCF0292.jpg
Views: 3212
Size:  42.8 KB

And I've been in the same position in other buddy's boats. And while the back seat angler may not get first crack at the fish, they do catch their share. And that can sometimes be because they're alerted to the fact of approaching those fish, by the angler in front catching some.

... cp

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished the back for years before we changed boats. Not near as much happened in the back as there was in the front. I did the best basically long lining with floats and with a couple really long rods to reach out side of the front poles. I would put my wife up front with 6 or 8 poles and chauffeur her around the lake from the back of the boat with the ipilot. I got to see her catch a whole lot of really nice fish. Of course, from the back, I could sometimes see the bite faster than she would. It was kinda like playing solitaire with someone looking over your shoulder. She hated me telling her she was getting bit From time to time, I would need to take a trip by myself to get my spider rigging fix.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

You can long line out of the back which is basically casting your line out the back and trolling around. You need to have a way to work your trolling motor however.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished that way years ago and 3 guys in a 14' flatbottom boat with 6 poles each looks like a porcupine. Atleast that is what the game warden said. We had poles out front back and both sides !
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes jackie53 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about using floats off the back while rigging off the front. Put a lil distance between the boat and the bait. Would work fishing shallow. Don't know if it would work well if fishing deeper than 8ft. That's a lot of line from bait to bobber. I guess you could just lower the rig into the water and slowly let line out til you get to the distance you like.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Likes RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I fish 12 -10' poles. I fish 6 up front and my wife fishes 6 - 3 on one side and 3 on the other right beside of her seat in the back of our tracker pro 16 boat. She has caught some of the biggest crappie that was caught. I think it is because when the first set of minnows come through the fish are more ready to bite the second set that passes over.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking. The only thing is, Lake Lanier is very clear most of the time. Could use some distance away from the boat in the back. Floats would work since I'm moving so slow. The new Thiel floats that are marked for a specific weight work well and they make them for 1/2oz which I normally use to rig with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabepeeps View Post
    That's what I was thinking. The only thing is, Lake Lanier is very clear most of the time. Could use some distance away from the boat in the back. Floats would work since I'm moving so slow. The new Thiel floats that are marked for a specific weight work well and they make them for 1/2oz which I normally use to rig with.
    We use floats when the crappie move into shallower depth on our poles. The crappie are sometimes in 4' to 6' water and we fish 2'to3' deep using corks. We troll very slow and have even caught them in clear water. When they go deep in the summer we take the corks off and fish 10'to16' water and have caught them. We use 1or2 #7 shot and the least size cork we can get by with it not sinking on it's own. Oh we do use minnows. Were "legal" drop a fish habitat or two it will help you and the fish. Be safe and good luck fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast