Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Baitcaster with "Flipping" bar?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baitcaster with "Flipping" bar?

Hey Everyone I am wondering if anyone knows about a baitcaster with a flipping bar in a small configuration for crappie jigging in standing timber? Sure seems like it would be easier letting out a foot or two of line at a time by hitting the button but now having to turn the handle to lock the spool again. Is there a reel like this out there without using a full sized baitcaster with the flipping bar (which can be quite pricey)?
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I began making that switch last fall. the reel that i opted for was the silver max. pretty small as a baitcaster, light, and it has the flipping switch. I tried it, and now want all my rods to have them! especially spider rigging shallow water. you can set the hook, let out line with your thumb to keep the fish in the water. Much better control. Just my two cents!
    -We don't need no stinkin' minners!--

www.picolures.com
    Likes Tn Johnboy, jackie53 LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shineehineekid View Post
    I began making that switch last fall. the reel that i opted for was the silver max. pretty small as a baitcaster, light, and it has the flipping switch. I tried it, and now want all my rods to have them! especially spider rigging shallow water. you can set the hook, let out line with your thumb to keep the fish in the water. Much better control. Just my two cents!
    What he said in the Lefthanded models.(I am right handed) The left handed model makes it easier to engage the reel.Fish some low river lakes in our area with cypress and tupelo trees(low hanging branches) reel handy. Brenda says I have too many rod's and reel's Always need one more
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes ifish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

lews makes a walley marshall signiture series small profile baitcaster with a thumb bar, however for just jigging timber the mr. crappie solo is hard to beat. it has a true adjustable drag so if you need a couple extra feet just strip it off. i have both. the baitcasters are fine spiderrigging but kinda bulky and cumbersome for single pole jigging
    Likes parratt1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murdok View Post
    lews makes a walley marshall signiture series small profile baitcaster with a thumb bar, however for just jigging timber the mr. crappie solo is hard to beat. it has a true adjustable drag so if you need a couple extra feet just strip it off. i have both. the baitcasters are fine spiderrigging but kinda bulky and cumbersome for single pole jigging
    Murdok I will look into the Wally Marshall Baitcaster. The solo I don't think will fit the bill for me. A lot of time in the heat of summer I use a reel quite often letting the jig fall all the way to the bottom and do a super slow retrieve up through the tree and catch a lot of fish that way so I want a reel that I can use for everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: I have been replacing my spinning reels with baitcasters with a flipping switch. I go to e-bay and look for low profile baitcast reels which are smaller sized with the flipping switch. I picked up some Quantum kvd600 reels that were cheap , 12 to15 each plus 5 to 8 for shipping. Super quality 6 bearing reels. I think from the late 80s early 90s. There are a lot of other brands also very reasonable. I think these reels are much better and tougher than the crappie reels. Good Luck this season. O - R

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Most times I jig with longer line than depth and use rod to control depth of jig. But if you need to use short line for tight cover I just strip off line with my hand with drag set light enough to allow it.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes jackie53 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The quantum kvd's are very good reels and that's a good price too. I can see the advantages of this I don't spider rig much but this seems like a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Been using BC reels with flippin switch for years. All my crappie BC reels have them. Most were picked up on ebay as new, old stock. Quantum made a bunch of different models. They go quick so you need to check frequently.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER