Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: minnow bucket insulation

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow bucket insulation

How effective is the foam liner they make for minnow buckets? Seems with a non insulated and ventilated lid the foam on the sides wouldn't do much.
    -Jon

Post Thanks / Like

I use the foam liners in my 5 gal. bucket because they help keep the water temperature cooler in the heat of the day. Sometimes I even freeze water bottles to help keep the minnows cooler. They work much like a ice chest to keep water cooler longer.
    Likes RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

the foam helps keep the water a lot cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I converted a small igloo cooler to keep minnows in. It sure helps keep the water cooler.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    They work much like a ice chest to keep water cooler longer.
    That's kinda why I was wondering. If you leave the top open on the ice chest, how much more effective is it than just putting the ice in a bucket? The minnow bucket lids I have seen are largely un insulated and ventilated, start running an aerator and you will be exchanging air with the environment. Just curious if anyone did a side by side comparison to determine the actual effectiveness? This is totally a "just can't wait for spring to get out fishing" kind of pondering. Maybe I'll have to go all mythcrackers on it and set up a test in my basement. Hmmm...
    -Jon
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The foam liner keeps radiant heat from transferring through a thin plastic wall..........
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    That's kinda why I was wondering. If you leave the top open on the ice chest, how much more effective is it than just putting the ice in a bucket? The minnow bucket lids I have seen are largely un insulated and ventilated, start running an aerator and you will be exchanging air with the environment. Just curious if anyone did a side by side comparison to determine the actual effectiveness? This is totally a "just can't wait for spring to get out fishing" kind of pondering. Maybe I'll have to go all mythcrackers on it and set up a test in my basement. Hmmm...
    Put your aerator in your ice chest and put the hose and air stone in your minnow bucket....that way you are pumping cold air into the minnow bucket water.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes scrat, Milky LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Put your aerator in your ice chest and put the hose and air stone in your minnow bucket....that way you are pumping cold air into the minnow bucket water.
    Now that's an idea I have not heard before!!
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't pump melted ice water.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could do what I did and buy an Engel Bait Cooler...Live Bait Coolers You will never need another cooler for the bait! I can leave my lid open and the water does not change temp unless the sun is out. Then I just leave it closed and it stays cold! Cold days do not matter.
    Remember to NOT add ice to any water as it contains chemicals bad for the bait.

USAF Retired and fishing!