Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another question about trolling rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another question about trolling rods.

What type of reel do most of you use on them baitcasters or spinning reels and why do you like your choice?

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer spinning, I use some of my rods for trolling and jigging. for me it is easier to let out more line with a spinning reel

Post Thanks / Like

spinning reels work the best for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Bait Casters For Me

I prefer Bait Casters because it is easy to strip off a known amount of line. With a spinning reel the line just kind of coils off the reel. With a bait caster I have my poles marked at 1 & 2 feet from the reel & I can pull off as much line as I want & still know to the foot, how much line I have out. :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskers
    I prefer Bait Casters because it is easy to strip off a known amount of line. With a spinning reel the line just kind of coils off the reel. With a bait caster I have my poles marked at 1 & 2 feet from the reel & I can pull off as much line as I want & still know to the foot, how much line I have out. :D
    If you can't do that with your spinning reel, you have your drag set too tight.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both spinning reels and the small WM baitcasters. I prefer the baitcasters because one turn of the reel is one foot of line. That makes it easy for me set depth and make minor adjustments. It is also easier to reach the reel on top of the rod while in the rod holders than to reach around the rod and holder to get to the reel. The baitcasters are also very light which is a plus when holding the longer rods.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

i prefer spinnin reels. i wind the wate to the rod tip, knock off anti-reverse, wind back one complete revolution, measure to see how much that is and adjust depth by countin revolutions. i use mitchell 300's on my titelinin rods and shakespere reels on my flatlinin rods (which i cast) works for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning reels because of diversity. I can spider rig or longline troll with ease and can change quickly if need be. I have no problem getting right depth. Use rod length spider rigging and make about a 30' cast longlining and I use different size jigs to control depth. I can also flip baits in shallow water in the spring with spinning reels. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Slab Seeker spinning reel

I've been meaning to take some pics of this reel, as it's the only spinning reel I've ever seen that does this. You can set two different depths with it and go back to the same depth every time. Keith Sutton talks about these in his Crappie book. I got two rod & reel combo's for around $75 or so from Cabela's. I think these pics will give you an idea of how they work.
    Unset:

And set:

We love these combos for crappie fishing, it just makes it that much easier to see the bite and get the jig back down where they are.
    Oh, and if you get a biggun on that takes out some drag, it will pop that copper line marker back down into it's hole and the fight's on, you have the whole reel of line back if you need it. Or you can pull outwards on it anytime and do the same thing. Dang good invention!
    Last edited by Glowgood Jigster; 12-23-2006 at 09:00 PM.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Been wondering if those worked very well, might have to pick me up a couple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast