Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speckled trout

Post Thanks / Like

Default speckled trout

Anybody here fish speckled trout?

They been biting in the inland bays around Bully camp!
    Small, but you usually can limit out on 12 inch + specs. after a lot of culling.
    Roy

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bridges,

I fish for them too. I am from Mississippi Gulf Coast I fish for them in the bays around here. Lot's of short fish but I catch my share of the Keeper's. I fish with Cocohoe Minnows and live shrimp. MirOlure M52 when out front. They seem to love them baits. I troll bayou's with split tail grubs, Chartruse being my favorite color along with white solid body with a red dot 1/4 oz jig head at 2mph. My biggest this year is only around 3 pounds but it ain't cold enough yet lol. We can usually catch some 4 and 5 pounders. Our catch has to be 14 inches and can only keep 15. Nothing like a Trout busting the top water when you hang into him. Drift_Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Drift Wood....

I picked up some mirrolures to try this coming week. I've had most luck bouncing grubs off the bottom, fishin them in tandem. Black, Motor oil and most any dark color has been working well.

we are at 12 inches and 25 creel limit. They are very plentiful now. Gill nets here is what I believe imposed the limit. It a good thing!

Ive only saw 5 pound speckis once in my life. It was during a Nor'western, sea gulls were dipping by a bridge and we stopped on our way to the camp.
    Needless to say we never made it to the camp.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

We are on the gulf coast also, just in Louisiana. I have some friends that have been going regularly for the last couple weeks and limiting out on every trip.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the red head white body alot around here and have had pretty good luck with them. I been using them things for years now. I also like the top dawg jr and the new she dogs. The Blue top with siver bottoms. I gonna go this morning to a new place my buddy told me about and throw at them. I wish our length was 12 inches. I think I could keep alot more fish if it was. We got a little cool snap and some rain coming in so maybe them ole biguns will relax that mouth this morning lol. You ever fish Chandeleur island? I got some buddies that have big boats that go out there and catch them 5 pounders. I have been on a couple trips with them that's Speck haven out there. That stupid Katrina messed up our freshwater fishing or it has for me. But I think the saltwater fishing has gotten better maybe it's just me but I been catching some nice fish out there and lot's of short fish. Well I will let you know how I do today when I get back. See you later and Merry Christmas. Drift_Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drift_Wood
    I wish our length was 12 inches. I think I could keep alot more fish if it was. .......... You ever fish Chandeleur island? I got some buddies that have big boats that go out there and catch them 5 pounders. I have been on a couple trips with them that's Speck haven out there. That stupid Katrina messed up our freshwater fishing or it has for me. But I think the saltwater fishing has gotten better maybe it's just me but I been catching some nice fish out there and lot's of short fish. Well I will let you know how I do today when I get back. See you later and Merry Christmas. Drift_Wood
    The 12 inchers are great eating, especially if cooked same day!

Its been a many years since Chandeleur island!! Pelican pass and Wine Island were my favorite night spots (before Katrina). I probably will start fishing the barrier Islands again after Sac-a-lait spawn.

Merry Christmas!
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

Well we made it back. We got our limit and some biguns too. My Grandson caught his first speckled trout today it was a hoss. He is 7 years old and was fishing with a micro rod 6' with a zebco micro reel, you should have seen that battle as it was taking place. I thought he would never get him in but he finally got it to the shore and we managed to get him on the sand lol. We were bank fishing under a Bridge and was using live shrimp under a popping cork about 2 feet deep. It was a good speckled trout day, lot of wind, cold and raining lol. We got soaked but he stuck it out with me and we done good. He is standing here and tell's me that he caught 6. He is a true fisherman now. Well I guess I better go I got some cleaning to do and he can't wait to get started. I bet that will change when he grow's up lol. Drift_Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Drift Wood! I fondly remember the days when I was a kid and adults took me fishing.
    It's good to hear yall did well, I hope I can do the same on Wednesday.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

I love specs - 5lber rare in Carolina but we get some biguns
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Specks were running okay both Yesterday and Today. We limited out both days and had a great time. We tried mirrorlures and Rapalas, but they seem to want the little gummy jigs. Largest was about 2 lbs (we didn't weigh them)

We also caught a few Redfish. An interesting thing.....We cleaned the Redfishes last and my fishing buddy cut open the stomach of the largest Red to see what he was feeding on.....It seems he had eaten quite a few discarded beetle spin jigs. There were no hooks on any of them so we figured they were discarded by someone into the lake.
    Roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast