Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I fell into the Nanofil trap.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I fell into the Nanofil trap.

Yeah, I splurged and spent the $20 on a 150 yd spool of Nanofil because I heard how awesome it was. I took it to the lake and lost 5 or 6 jigs by simply casting and lost several more, trying to get fish in. I was not happy with the line's performance and decided I would write an email to Berkeley. I got on their website and tried to tell them what had happened with the details but their contact page would only allow a paragraph 500 characters or less so I sent a short paragraph of my experience. This was their response:

"Thank you for contacting customer service at Berkley. We are sorry to hear about your recent experience you have received with the Berkley Nanofil. Since we are not aware of any issues with this product I would like to double check you were using the correct knot such as the “Nanofil Knot” instructions can be found at Nanofil Knot - how to tie. Also, please note Nanofil is not for use with casting reels. If these suggestions do not fix the issue you are dealing with please package the remainder of the line, spool’s label information, brief description of the issue, preferred replacement line style and your receipt (if available) to the below address and we will gladly replace your line as a courtesy.

Purefishing
    Attn: customer service
    1900 18th St.
    Spirit Lake, IA 51360

Regards,

Berkley customer service

DS"

My response,

"So let me get this right. The purchaser must use the "correct knot" for this line or it is not guaranteed for quality? That a bunch of malarky! (trying to keep this clean) I don't use your "Nanofil" knot for long line trolling for crappie. I use a loop knot for better action and presentation of the bait. This Nanofil knot, or modified palomar, is not beneficial to my type of fishing. To say, "if you don't use a specific knot, then it will break", is a pathetic excuse for "Our line is junk and is CLEARLY not worth $20/150 yards." I was so rushed at the ramp to peel off the junk Nanofil and respool up my usual mono, that the Nanofil was put in the fishing line recycling bin at the boat ramp. Who would keep the packaging, receipt, AND the junk line? Yeah, I don't have any of that, the garbage men took care of it for me. So I guess at this point, I will receive nothing more from you, but an apology, and a hard, $20 lesson to never purchase this line again and to post our email conversation on websites such as crappie.com. This will warn future purchasers that if you don't use the Nanofil knot for your type of fishing, then don't buy this line, because it's not guaranteed to retain it's integrity. Thanks,"

I have learned my lesson and will do my best to warn everyone that, although this may be great line, you must use it exctly as they say with the ONE knot that they created and put their name on. I'm not good with that and if you are like me, and most are better fisherman than I ever will be, you tend to use more than just one type of presentation, depending on the species of fish, time of year, etc. Limiting yourself to one specific way of fishing will clearly not produce good results. Just be warned and happy fishing!!
    Likes love2fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travish10 View Post
    ... and to post our email conversation on websites such as crappie.com.
    The problem you run into is the CDC posts where people say they love the stuff.

This goes back to my line mantra: the line you love is absolutely hated by at least one other person on this site.
    Likes Redge, travish10, Sandwich Maker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You tell them man!!!!! I am sorry you had that experience with Berkey as they make Vanish Fluorocarbon that has been the best line I have used on small spinning reels . Using 10 Lb test I caught several good Catfish then a small monster that was almost 8 pounds and the line held up. I did also have the same experience as you with Stren. Like you, I would never buy another inch of the Junk

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. I loved their response but yours was better.

I believe a company several years ago was taken to court and lost a case on a similar retort. The company said that if you did not utilize their specific oil it would void the warrenty. The court sided with the plantiff in the decision because the company in question (will not mention the name) could not prove beyond a resonable doubt that their oil was manufactored any better than any other oil on the market. Nor could they prove that their oil provided any better qualities to the engine than any other oil.

Although we are talking apples and oranges, a company cannot tell you that their knot is the only knot that will work for their particular line. IF however that is the case, this should be in big bold letters to the consumer BEFORE purchasing.

Disco said it best.. we all have our favorites that others will hate (the Ford/Chevy debate). I've never used the stuff let alone seen it but, because of your information, I'll be sure to steer clear of it. Thanks
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Deathb4disco, yeah I get that alot of people on here like it. I told the guy that put me onto it what had happened and he said that he uses a palomar knot and had never had an issue. He still uses it and that is his choice, I really don't care. I just wanted to warn people of this because I was one of the people who didn't read up on it first and like wicklundrh suggested, there weren't any big bold lettering to the consumer about this specification that is VERY important to know, I feel. Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I tie a short mono leader to my Nanofil with a double-uni and have good luck with that. I like the line other than it's knot strength.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is reasonable for them to make sure you are using the product correctly. Can you imagine the number of numbskull customers a company like Berkeley has to deal with? Asking a few questions to make sure the customer on the line isn't a complete moron is not asking too much.
    Likes stormcloud LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree with the company asking a few questions but seriously, how do you misuse 8# test fishing line for crappie fishing?
    Likes strmwalker, love2fish LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  0209151505-00.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  88.6 KBName:  0209151014-01.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  39.0 KBName:  0204151729-00.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  73.5 KBName:  0204151052-00.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  43.0 KBName:  0204151052-01.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  42.5 KBName:  0204151726-02.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  52.4 KB Sorry for your loss. Berkley is not my sponsor or endorser of any type. These crappie were all caught on 10 lb 2 lb diam, and 12 lb,4 lb diameter Nano fl in a 15 -20 mph north wind. I would not have been able to see the bite with any other line. 8 lb nano fill is equivalent to 2 lb diam mono or less. 2 lb mono of any line maker will not work very well as the main line on a bait caster(or will not work on the baitcaster's we use) can be used as a leader off the main line,on a bait caster is usually to small(2 lb?),Works on small spinning or fly casting equipment.Hope this helps at $20.00 a spool is expensive. Will out last mono. spooled these rod/Reels with this line 2 years ago.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I also love the sensitivity of the line and actually caught many fish with this line as well. My complaint is that it is not reliable with any knot other than what Berkeley suggests. If they advertise 8# line that will break at 2#, then that is false advertisement on their part. I bought the line because of the 2# diameter with 8# strength. I also use small spinning reels. Sorry about the confusion with baitcasters. I never use those type of reels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast