Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Well Jerry Blake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well Jerry Blake?

What was the total of the damage done today on the fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Big J:

You wouldn't believe me if I told you!

The three people that I took this morning kept 23 - 10 to 13 inchers and released 10 or so that were just under 10-inches.

The two guys I took this afternoon kept 40 - a limit for each of them - and released 20 or so just under 10-inches. I guess they had 8 or so that were 13 to 14-inches.

We hit that bamboo right across from the boat ramp at Kirby landing on our way in just before dark and caught most of the bigger ones. I think we caught about 12 there in less than 20 minutes and most of them were over 13-inches. They had me hopping! We had several doubles and one quadruple earlier in the afternoon. Needless to say, everyone was happy - ESPECIALLY ME!

It was cloudy all day but in the mid to upper 50s with no wind so it was a good day to be out. If Moose asks, the barometer was FALLING most of the day from 30.36 to 30.24

I'll get the pictures up after while. I still gotta round up some bait and get the boat ready for another full day tomorrow.

Y'all have fun in the chat room this evening - I don't believe I'll make it.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that report. Bet that makes you get over your cabin fever. Get some rest as I know if your getting those kinds of numbers at one time, you will need it. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry a drop in only .1 " of mercury is equivalent to dropping the lake a few inches or rasing the water level a few inches.
    You emphasis the falling barrometer but you didn't emphasis the cloudy conditions all day long and that fact that you caught most of your bigen as the sun was setting.

I say light,,, you say less filling. LOL

Good to see you had a good day on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Big J:

You wouldn't believe me if I told you!

The three people that I took this morning kept 23 - 10 to 13 inchers and released 10 or so that were just under 10-inches.

The two guys I took this afternoon kept 40 - a limit for each of them - and released 20 or so just under 10-inches. I guess they had 8 or so that were 13 to 14-inches.

We hit that bamboo right across from the boat ramp at Kirby landing on our way in just before dark and caught most of the bigger ones. I think we caught about 12 there in less than 20 minutes and most of them were over 13-inches. They had me hopping! We had several doubles and one quadruple earlier in the afternoon. Needless to say, everyone was happy - ESPECIALLY ME!

It was cloudy all day but in the mid to upper 50s with no wind so it was a good day to be out. If Moose asks, the barometer was FALLING most of the day from 30.36 to 30.24

I'll get the pictures up after while. I still gotta round up some bait and get the boat ready for another full day tomorrow.

Y'all have fun in the chat room this evening - I don't believe I'll make it.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moose:

I didn’t “emphasis” anything, just stated some of the conditions during our trip. Actually when we hit that last spot where we caught the majority of our better fish the sun had already gone down and had been down for a while – it was “just before dark” as in immediately impending lack of light. In fact it got dark – as in NO noticeable daylight - about 20 minutes after we started fishing that spot – had to get the flashlight out to see what we were doing.

“As the sun was setting,” and for about an hour before the sunset we were scrounging around for one or two dinks and keepers per brushpile.

The reason I hadn’t already fished that spot was that a friend of mine – one of the old-timers on the lake – had fished it earlier in the day so I was waiting for it to settle down. Oh, and it was in the middle of the day during the brightest period of the day that he fished it and he caught several gooduns there.
    I understand that the whole range of barometric pressure is minimal compared to the changes in pressure at varying depths under water. I don’t think crappie can feel changes in barometric pressure or that they have barometers on their condo walls that they watch to decide when it’s time to eat. I understand that changes in light as well as a whole host of other conditions affect the feeding activity of crappie.

But from my limited observations over the last 18 years of crappie fishing several times a week year around and being on the water an average of 250 days a year for the last 4 years, crappie in the lakes that I fish are easier to catch or are more aggressive or are in a “more positive mood” or however you want to put it, when the pressure is falling slowly or steady below 30.00 than they are when the pressure is rising or over 30.20. VERY SELDOM do I find the reverse to be true on any given day.

I’m not suggesting that they don’t eat when the pressure is rising or high or that they can’t be caught - only that of all the conditions that affect the crappie bite, including solunar tables, light conditions, time of year or anything else, changes in weather patterns, which barometric changes are an indication of, have the most noticeable affect on the bite of any other single condition.

I pay a lot of attention to light conditions and fish in the shade when I can but QUITE OFTEN they don’t bite early in the day or late in the evening, or in the shade of a dock or bridge, but right in the middle of the day, even in the bright sunshine, especially during spring after the sun has warmed the water.

I also pay a lot of attention to changes in water level, clarity and temperature and wind direction (primarily for comfort and boat control) to decide where and how deep to fish. And, if the pressure is high or rising I generally fish slower with smaller bait, deeper and tighter to the brush.

If a client asks me when I think the best day is to fish over a several day period I check the weather to see when the next front is predicted to come through and I recommend that we fish the day before the front comes through rather than the day or even two or three days after the front has passed and that’s been working out real well for me.

We had another good day today - a limit of keepers for both of my clients and they released another limit or so. We caught them on and off all day under moslty overcast conditions. When they were biting they popped a jig real well and took the slip-floats right down with no hesitation.

When the sun did pop out for a while in the middle of the afternoon they kept biting about the same. They didn't bite noticealby better early or late but guess what - the pressure fell from 30.20 at 9:00am to 30.08 at 4:00pm.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry
    Keep them great reports coming at least for the next 21 days...LOL. Really getting anxiuos about trip. Hope it is cloudy, falling barometer, the moon is lined up correctly, and all the other goodies in place for Pat & myself.

See you shortly.
    Last edited by Ranger375; 12-31-2004 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spellin
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville