Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dock fishing FRUSTRATION!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock fishing FRUSTRATION!

I have access to a nice boat dock on a large, rock bottomed lake in Oklahoma. The front of the dock sits in about 15 FOW and the back is around 35 FOW. I have dropped about 20 spider blocks to the bottom around the edges along with hanging Bois d'arc and other types of brush from the support poles at around 10-15 ft depth and also sinking some in the middle of the boat slip. This was all done about this time last year and I STILL have not caught any crappie off of it! I have caught several nice spotted bass though. What am I doing wrong?!!!??!?! The only thing that I can think of is that the dock is not enclosed. Would this make that much of a difference? Any help or knowledge would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say what's going on can you post some pic. Of the dock sounds like you did what you can I would recommend a green monster dock light to if that doesn't work I don't know what will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    It's hard to say what's going on can you post some pic. Of the dock sounds like you did what you can I would recommend a green monster dock light to if that doesn't work I don't know what will.

I'll see what I can do on the pics. I've tried with lights before and nothing. My next step will be a submerged IED!

Post Thanks / Like

Submersible light is what I was talking about the green light are the best. You will have fish on them! they are a lot of money but they are worth more money.

Post Thanks / Like

How does your dock compare to spots you do catch crappie on this lake? Can you catch fish on other docks? It seems like you have at least the beginnings of a good fishing hole....all you need are some fish! Crappie will come into a spot looking to feed, so you want your cover to be attractive to either baitfish or bugs, or both. Do you mainly catch white crappies, or blacks? Hopefully in the time your cover has been in place, algae has grown on it...that will attract zooplankton which will attract minnows and shad and even bugs, I would think. If you don't already have some, put in shallow cover all the way from the front (15') depth to the bank....this will encourage spawning and provide cover for fry as well as spawning fish. As an alternative, maybe there ARE crappies there....and you just haven't caught any? Rocky lakes are usually very clear, so a very small minnow or jig on very light line and fished very slowly from bottom up might find out. Keep trying with the cover! Add more at all depths from about 5' and down. Add some really dense cedar branches for cover too if you can....Is there a channel nearby? Maybe you could put brushpiles all the way from the channel to your dock? Like a crappie super highway that leads right to your hot grease!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Maybe you could post this in the lake management and cover forum....those guys have been building their own brushpiles for years and they might know exactly what to try

Post Thanks / Like

Is your structure still there. Sounds lile a dumb question but I've seen cover disappear around docks, Not everyone using the docks likes structure and will drag it out just to make the dock area clean for swimming or whatever. No, I;m not being a wise crack its happened to me more than once.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-09-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Vic n.may have the answer if you lake has mostly white crappie they don't use docks as much as black crappie. Not to say that want use docks but I can count on one hand how many white crappie I have caught on docks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeKdog View Post
    Is your structure still there. Sounds lile a dumb question but I've seen cover disappear around docks, Not everyone using the docks likes structure and will drag it out just to make the dock area clean for swimming or whatever. No, I;m not being a wise crack its happened to me more than once.

That is certainly NOT a dumb question. I've started to wonder too! I have seen brush disappear too when you're on a really steep bank close to the channel. I'm pretty sure its all still there though as this is not the case in this particular area. Very little boat traffic too as its a dead end cove and no wake the whole way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    Vic n.may have the answer if you lake has mostly white crappie they don't use docks as much as black crappie. Not to say that want use docks but I can count on one hand how many white crappie I have caught on docks.
    Lowe175, that may be true in your area, but in OK I have caught a lot of white crappie in docks. In fact, it's more common to catch white rather than black crappie in some of our lakes!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Likes callmecamo, Bowhunter2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    How does your dock compare to spots you do catch crappie on this lake? Can you catch fish on other docks? It seems like you have at least the beginnings of a good fishing hole....all you need are some fish! Crappie will come into a spot looking to feed, so you want your cover to be attractive to either baitfish or bugs, or both. Do you mainly catch white crappies, or blacks? Hopefully in the time your cover has been in place, algae has grown on it...that will attract zooplankton which will attract minnows and shad and even bugs, I would think. If you don't already have some, put in shallow cover all the way from the front (15') depth to the bank....this will encourage spawning and provide cover for fry as well as spawning fish. As an alternative, maybe there ARE crappies there....and you just haven't caught any? Rocky lakes are usually very clear, so a very small minnow or jig on very light line and fished very slowly from bottom up might find out. Keep trying with the cover! Add more at all depths from about 5' and down. Add some really dense cedar branches for cover too if you can....Is there a channel nearby? Maybe you could put brushpiles all the way from the channel to your dock? Like a crappie super highway that leads right to your hot grease!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Maybe you could post this in the lake management and cover forum....those guys have been building their own brushpiles for years and they might know exactly what to try

It's on Grand Lake so there are plenty of crappie to be had but I seem to mostly catch white crappie here. I don't really know what the difference would be in my dock vs others except that mine isn't enclosed. The water isn't overly clear but its much clearer this time of year than normal. You can see your jig at about 6 ft down right now. The water is always green and thick when the boat traffic picks up. I'm very familiar with the food chain theory and that's what I've been trying (and failing) to do. Guess I'll have to explore the "nuclear" option and drop a bunch of cedar trees. I'm sure folks around here wouldn't mind a little fencerow cedar removal around here.

As far as there being crappie there but just not catching them, I really couldn't tell you. Unfortunately, I don't have any electrofishing equipment to find out! I went out yesterday and only caught one spotted bass and I fished slow and methodical for 2 hrs until dark.

The dock is on an arm off of the main channel by about 300 yards so it is not exactly handy. It is also quite deep in the middle of that arm (40ft+) so I'm not sure why that would affect things that much.

Another thing that popped into my mind yesterday (while not catching fish) was if anyone else in the area catches any crappie. There are plenty of docks but I don't see many at all that are enclosed or look like they get fished. Mostly owned by the city folk, weekender types that only come during the summer for pleasure boating. Maybe my dock is in the infamous "Nospecksforyou Cove" and I don't even know it. Sounds like a horrible dream!

Thanks for the reply vic!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast