Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about tying knots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about tying knots

When pre-rigging my terminal tackle for spider rigging I try to have all of my droppers (that attaches to my main line) the same length but I am having a hard time getting consistent lengths. For instance if I want all of my droppers to be 9", I am having a hard time getting that length consistently. I'm not looking to get the drops to be within 1/32", or anything like that, but would like to be able to get within 1/2".

Any suggestions on how to improve my knot tying performance?

Thanks to anyone who offers advice.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Practice.... the one thing I did to get leader lengths consistent was to take a board and put 2 finishing nails a desired distance apart. Tied my snap to one end, placed it over a nail, pulled my line around the second nail and made a little loop then cut off
    Likes blueball, SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

buckerekdog`s idea sounds good,been thinking about doing it that way for awhile now.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeKdog View Post
    Practice.... the one thing I did to get leader lengths consistent was to take a board and put 2 finishing nails a desired distance apart. Tied my snap to one end, placed it over a nail, pulled my line around the second nail and made a little loop then cut off
    X2 on that
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUUDYYmBgU video is for Pompano rigs but will work.

Post Thanks / Like

I tied up 9 or 10 this weekend, I stuck pieces of red tape at 8" and 18" on my work bench and used them as a gauge, also I used to use a palomar and a improved cinch knot on the same rigs, but I think You get more consistant lengths using just one type. I use 5 gallon bucket length pool noodles to store My rigs, then use a sharpie marker to label the weights.

Post Thanks / Like

First, I want to thank all of you who have replied and offered suggestions. Secondly, I don't think I have done a good job of phrasing my question, so let me try again. To simplify, lets say I want to tie several pieces of line with a snap on each end and have a distance of 9" between the snaps. I tie the first snap (improved clinch knot), then pull off maybe 16" of line and cut it off of the spool. Now I have 16" piece of line that has a snap on one end. What I want to know is how to tie the second snap to the 16" piece of line so that there is 9" between the snaps.

I have marks on my work bench to verify my 9" lengths.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Well just pinch the line on your snap with Your thumb and forefinger and hold it there so You keep a 9" measurement, then tie a cinch knot with the other hand (I use My mouth to assist in this step) caution: You look dumb when You do it but it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a yard stick to get my length. I tie a swivel on one end then pull line to the length I want and take a sharpie marker and mark length. Then I cut line past that and put jig or whatever at the mark and tie. You have the mark on line to help keep lengths the same.

Post Thanks / Like

You think them Crappie carry a Tape measure

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast