Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drift sock question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift sock question

Finally bought a 54" sock yesterday at bass pro. My question is should I go on and get the second one so it'll be easier just to put one on both cleats on the back corners of the boat? Our boats a Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I use two ropes and tie the sock to both back cleats and the sock drags behind the motor to keep the boat pointed in one direction by the wind. Use same length of rope for both sides and put a quick release clip on each end to attach and detach easily.
    Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  18.6 KB
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Used some socks for the first time the other day..My fishing partner brought them and we used what he called a large sock first off one side,the wind got alittle stronger and he put a a medium sock on the other.All i can say is if not for the socks it would have been a rough day and believe in strong wind two small added to the front with the other two on the back would be the optimum setup.My boat is probally close to the tracker u have,i have a fischer 170 prohawk.

Post Thanks / Like

Make a bridle to go between the cleats with a sliding stainless steel ring to hook the sock to........ or you can buy a bridle made for pulling water ski really cheap
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KY Grant View Post
    Finally bought a 54" sock yesterday at bass pro. My question is should I go on and get the second one so it'll be easier just to put one on both cleats on the back corners of the boat? Our boats a Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW. Thanks
    If you only want to use one sock then I would suggest taking it back and getting a 77". The ratings on the package concerning recommended boat lengths is garbage. At least pick up another 54" if you want to run two. Total boat control is a beautiful thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Likes Billbob, Bugtussle LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I always use at least two
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see this thread,I have a 12 ' frontier nucanoe,I have been debating a drag chain or a drift sock.All but one lake I fish is featureless on the bottoms,but one is loaded with snags,sunken and flooded timber.Which would be better suited ( maybe both), and what size drift sock would be appropriate for my frontier?

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll just go on and pick up another one. The next time I'm up there. The 54" was the biggest they had. Should I just return it and order a bigger size? If so what size should I go with for a pro team 175? Thanks

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run 2 48's and a 66 which was the biggest you could get at the time. Boat about the same size as yours. The 66 on a bridle does pretty good on not to bad days. Other times I have to add the other 2 to get down where I need to be. If they had of had the 77 when I bought mine that's what I would have had. Like Yikes said if only one get the 77. You can kinda control your speed by pulling closer or letting out a little more rope. 2 makes boat control a lot easier. Just my opinion but don't think you can go to big.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
    These are the best in my opinion. Have to watch them, the sometimes put them on some really good sales. I started with one of those Vinale socks and hated it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Glad to see this thread,I have a 12 ' frontier nucanoe,I have been debating a drag chain or a drift sock.All but one lake I fish is featureless on the bottoms,but one is loaded with snags,sunken and flooded timber.Which would be better suited ( maybe both), and what size drift sock would be appropriate for my frontier?
    I wouldn't think you would need a very big one for that. Maybe 36 at the most. Drag chain would work also but if I was using a drag chain I would figure out a easy to get it to release without much pressure. Not much margin for error on that boat if strong wind and it got hung up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast