Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New crappie reel and rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default New crappie reel and rods

Well I wanted to try fishing with some reel and rods instead of the 10' poles that I have been using ever sense I started crappie fishing. It is hard to do something different that has always worked. I just wanted to be able to fish deeper than a pole will allow. So I bought 4- 10' limit rods and reels on eBay from grizzly jig co. I think they will do until I decide if I like this type fishing. To me I think they were a good buy. I got them today in mail can't wait to try them out. Did any of you'll start with these or still use them, will they work ok.@25each+shipping

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrat .... I think the poles will work fine

I'm not so sure about those reels, though. They look like those mini-baitcast reels that everyone complains about the line getting inside the spool. (Mr Crappie, HT, BnM, etc) If they do not have a line pickup guide, that goes back & forth to lay the line down evenly on the spool, then they can bunch up the line on one side of the spool, which can allow the line to slip behind the spool's outer rim. One way to avoid that, might be to not fill the spools all the way.

Now, that's not to say that will happen to you ... but, it has been a bone of contention among many members that have those type of mini-reels.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you're all set to spider rig now. Hope you enjoy them.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Those look fine to me! If you use those reels, get used to "pulling" the line out of the reels instead of releasing the bell so you don't get backlash. Just pull out the length you need with your hand and reel it in to reel it back up.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I tried my new crappie reel and rods out a little today. Going to take a little time getting use too. I have been fishing poles and they don't get as tangled as much as these things do. I was able to fish deeper and found out that is were you will hangup the most. Well between fighting the wind trying to reset up my fishfinders and getting use to my new reel and rods I did not get a bite. But I did get to go fishing and that is better than snuff. Be safe and good luck fishing and don't forget about putting a little fishing habitat out (when legal)

Post Thanks / Like

All the reals are for is storing line! For 7 bucks u can't complain! Fish on.

"I just can't fish with one pole anymore"
    Black Fish Crappie Charters
    www.blackdoghuntingclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackfish View Post
    All the reals are for is storing line! For 7 bucks u can't complain! Fish on.
    I was not complaining about the reels had no problem with them so far and the rods were very nice. I am just learning to push jigs. I have always used poles with minnows. And like you said 4 reel and rods for $100 ain't bad. Be safe and good luck fishing.