Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!

I fish in a 220 acre private lake called Port Perry. It is located between Perryville and Fredericktown Mo. I usually don't get out to start crappie fishing until late March with my job, but I have the fever and some free time this weekend. Any tips on depth or tackle to use this time of the season. The water temp is going to be substantially colder than I am used to. Thank you and I absolutely love this site!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Jigs or minnows. Fish slow. When you think you're going too slow, slow down some more. In cold water, sometimes you have to bump them in the nose with your bait. They need to look at it for a minute sometimes before biting. Good luck and let us know how you do

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've had great luck in ponds this time of year using a minnow(preferably) or a jig set about 3' below a bobber. And like Speck said, slow is the key. With a bobber, you can pretty much leave the bait in the same spot and give a twitch now and then. When you do reel, only move the bait a few feet, pause, then another short move. Fish close to brush if you know where it is, or drop offs. Maybe in water 14-20' deep.

Post Thanks / Like

They lowered the lake so you might be able to see where some hidden brush piles are now. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

you have got some very good advise. Watch your line if it looks like its coming up or side ways or just looks weird set the hook and reel it in. That's what I have got told to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I ended up only catching two on Saturday. The wind was brutal and I only use a small jon boat so the fishing was rough. LSL angler - do you know when the let the lake fill back up? I am hoping that the wind isn't so bad this weekend so I can go back out there and try and locate some of those brush piles. The wind was so bad when I was out there on Saturday that I couldn't get around real well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by day dreamer View Post
    you have got some very good advise. Watch your line if it looks like its coming up or side ways or just looks weird set the hook and reel it in. That's what I have got told to do.
    That's good advice. The bite will be really light, so lots of times you will have a fish on and not know it unless you are really paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like

They have the gate shut now, it will just take a good rain to bring it back to normal level. Just remember where the brush piles are so when the lake comes back up you will know where to fish. Plus nows the time to get some blocks and tie it on some brush and sink it, it will pay off this spring.
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post